Question Why cTDP is showing 15watt for 1135g7???

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
This is intel spec sheet of 1135g7. You can se at ctdp up base clock is 2.4Ghz.
I have Dell Inspiron 3501 which has base clock of 2.4Ghz. Does this mean my TDP will be 28watt???????
Does changing TDP changes its base clock speed??????????

Also these are processor specs shown in hwinfo064.
hwinfo specs
Here CPU TDP is written as 28watt but cTDP up is written only 15watt. Then how my base clock is 2.4Ghz

Colif

Win 11 Master
  • All Intel processors come with a specific Base Frequency and a specific TDP.
  • Configurable TDP options mean the computer manufacturer can modify the Base Frequency and TDP of the CPU within the specific values posted on the product specification page https://ark.intel.com.
  • Depending on the design of the chassis/cooler, the computer manufacturer may increase or decrease Base Frequency and TDP.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0036543/processors/intel-core-processors.html

it seems to me that although your CPU TDP is 28, the cpu will only run minimum of 12 & max of 15 when at idle. I don't believe this refers to turbo., remembering from another thread I think tdp is p1 & p2 is used in turbo. If CPU was in a PC instead of a laptop its possible the cTDP up would match whats on the ark, but as its a laptop, they reduce its ability to reduce heat.

cTDP down matches the values on ark, they just adjusted its max as they can.

I wonder what speed you would get if you changed win 10 power scheme to High power, as in Balanced or power saver the minimum speed cpu will run is 5%. whereas in High Performance it runs at 100%. that would be 1 way to see what actual base clock is.. maybe, as turbo boost still occurs. Its difficult to know actual operating speed of a PC that can idle down or turbo up based on conditions. Mine is never at base clock, its normally way below or above, I never seen it stay at what base says it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikhilniks

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
it seems to me that although your CPU TDP is 28, the cpu will only run minimum of 12 & max of 15 when at idle
When at idle, why would would my cpu will use upto 12 or 15watt (bcoz at that condition there will be no work to do). My cpu power package hovers around 1watt at idle.
power package .9

For turbo my PL2 is 51watt and for longer operation PL1 is 22watt.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
idle is when windows does background tasks it can't run while you are using PC.
So if you leave it idling long enough it might run out of tasks it needs to do.
and it might drop down. mine is often mostly idle.
This might be true.
I wonder what speed you would get if you changed win 10 power scheme to High power, as in Balanced or power saver the minimum speed cpu will run is 5%. whereas in High Performance it runs at 100%. that would be 1 way to see what actual base clock is..
I have used system properties and use a lot of softwares every signle one states my base clock as 2.4Ghz. Even my BIOS reports base clock as 2.4Ghz. My system is shipped with Modern Standby and power option has not so my options and also there is no processor power management option where i can set min or max manually. frequency at no work assigned hovers around 1.2ghz and changing according to its needs which is expected and my system is set with best performance mode in windows power slider and dell power manager.
(earlier i have hp laptop 11th gen i3 1115g7 base @3ghz and also for it at idle clock around 1.2ghz and changing).
So basically i really dont have a proper idea what exactly a base clock mean bcoz system will be in lower frequency when no task and increase its frequency bcoz of turbo when task is assigned.
the cpu will only run minimum of 12 & max of 15 when at idle
Your ans seems pretty close but i have doubt ctdp down/up is only for idle condation. I have felt my laptop base prettey hot sometime (like felt at 80C cpu earlier). But again your ans may be true.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if there is a way to match speed of CPU to tdp, i think its more complicated than that. think it depends on size of the CPU cores, and other factors too. A slower CPU may have a higher tdp just because its based on a different size process nodes (link)
tdp seems to be a mostly made up figure for marketing anyway, intel, AMD & cooler makers don't even agree on how to measure it, so why take any notice of it?

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
i think its more complicated than that. think it depends on size of the CPU cores, and other factors too
True, what i observed when cpu utillization, frequency, igpu and many more effect on cpu tdp and power package.
why take any notice of it?
But what i wanted to know is :
What factor is increasing my laptop heat generation?????????? (this ques is relative to second laptop Dell 5502)
Dell 5502 have same processor 1135g7 but its base clock is only 1.4Ghz. Now that laptop is anyhow generating less heat for normal tasks.
Now where i confuses every time that both laptop is decreasing their frequency to lowest (i.e hovers around 1.2Ghz aprox and changing ) when in idle and both laptop increasing frequency when there is a task. So how the heat output is different???
So there might be some chance it is bcoz of base clock.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i saw that question earlier. I almost answered it but someone else did.

Do you have this 2nd laptop? Can you run HWINFO on it to see what its cTDP up/down is as that may explain the heat difference. I can't find any results about it online. its likely it has a lower cTDP up and that likely explains why its cooler. Since its "base" is lower then its cTDP up will also be lower.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
i saw that question earlier. I almost answered it but someone else did.

Do you have this 2nd laptop? Can you run HWINFO on it to see what its cTDP up/down is as that may explain the heat difference. I can't find any results about it online. its likely it has a lower cTDP up and that likely explains why its cooler. Since its "base" is lower then its cTDP up will also be lower.
No, I dont have that second laptop. I also searched a lot on internet but not found it. I have just used it in store and watched most of the reviews of that laptop from different sites and Dell as well. But what i found for that laptop as compared to my one is Other laptop PL1 value is 15watt and mine PL1 is 22watt. But this is just a upper power limit so it will down upper temp limit at max load. And for normal work it should not be counted.
Also as product ark says .9Ghz at 12watt and 2.4Ghz at 28watt tdp. So if we calculate through linear interpolation then 1.4Ghz will be aprox TDP 18watt. (From my observation 1.4Ghz base clock should be at cTDP 15watt). But not have any proof.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wish i found this before
Configurable TDP
Configurable TDP (cTDP), also known as programmable TDP or TDP power cap, is an operating mode of later generations of Intel mobile processors (as of January 2014) and AMD processors (as of June 2012) that allows adjustments in their TDP values. By modifying the processor behavior and its performance levels, power consumption of a processor can be changed altering its TDP at the same time. That way, a processor can operate at higher or lower performance levels, depending on the available cooling capacities and desired power consumption.[9]:69–72[10][11]
Intel processors that support cTDP provide three operating modes:[9]:71–72

Nominal TDP – this is the processor's rated frequency and TDP.
cTDP down – when a cooler or quieter mode of operation is desired, this mode specifies a lower TDP and lower guaranteed frequency versus the nominal mode.
cTDP up – when extra cooling is available, this mode specifies a higher TDP and higher guaranteed frequency versus the nominal mode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

although I am no closer to answering that mystery. there is a formula in there that shows how its calculated, at least by Intel.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
wish i found this before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

although I am no closer to answering that mystery. there is a formula in there that shows how its calculated, at least by Intel.
I have read this info earlier. Whatever information i gathered is reflecting heat production is related to Base clock frequency (lower base clock related to ctdp down). Thats why i asked about base clock and meaning of hwinfo specs of my laptop as ctdp up 15watt.