[SOLVED] Why Did Changing RAM Cause PC to Stop Working?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
I changed RAM, first adding one 8GB stick to the second motherboard slot. Then went into BIOS and changed RAM frequency from 2600 to 3200.

Then added a second 8GB RAM stock to the fourth motherboard slot.

At first, things looked great. The PC was clearly faster (showing 16GB of RAM in the BIOS) and I didn't notice anything that looked like a problem. Windows 10 started, and I was able to fully use the PC.

Then, maybe 10-15 minutes later the PC simply shut down. It automatically tried to turn on again but failed and shut off.

It then automatically turned on again but failed to start properly (with the white motherboard boot light staying on continuously).

Not sure what to do next. Really confused because it seemed fine at first and I was even installing STEAM (which is when the PC turned off).

Now when I press the power button, the PC turns on - and then makes a small noise (maybe something like the sound of an HDD working) before turning off again.

PC then restarts itself - but fails to boot and just seems to be stuck with the white motherboard booting light staying on.

More details:

CPU:
AMD Athlon 3000G
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX

Old RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GVR

New RAM: Silicon Power 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5

Solution
Have you tried installing both at same time, enabling XMP, disabling Fast Boot? You can't damage RAM that easily, you would have to run it at 1.8 volts or higher for it to care. It's something with your settings.
Sounds like you have RAM stability issues. Random reboots is one such sign. Not passing POST is another.

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
Update:

I removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and put in one stick of 8GB RAM (new RAM). The PC now turns on properly and boots into Windows 10.

Does this mean I damaged something when I changed the RAM frequency from 2600 to 3200?

I am just confused by this because the motherboard manual seems to say it supports ram speeds from 1866mhz up to 3466mhz

Also, this page says it can handle 3200+ MHz:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-athlon-3000g-review,18.html

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Have you tried installing both at same time, enabling XMP, disabling Fast Boot? You can't damage RAM that easily, you would have to run it at 1.8 volts or higher for it to care. It's something with your settings.
Sounds like you have RAM stability issues. Random reboots is one such sign. Not passing POST is another.

Reactions: incmachine
Solution