Why Did High-End DDR4 RAM Increase So Much In Price Recently?

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
I wish I'd have built my computer a few months ago. If you look at the price graphs for fast DDR4 RAM this year (The prices of specific kits) on pcpartpicker you'll see that recently they all shot up by sometimes as much as $100 per kit! What happened?

Solution
Yep, no guarantees when mixing packages of DRAM, even of same identical set ;) Especially in the higher data rates, those can even be hard to try and get to play w/ voltage/timing adjustments

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Demand is up, and people are finding that fast DRAM is better performance wise, especially when multi-tasking, which is something that basically few to no reviews take into account. You still continually see many saying 8GB is all you need for say gaming or most things, but people try that and they are more often than not doing multiple things at once, even gamers are having other things open in the background, are recording as they game etc. Even with current prices, 32GB is seen all the time where say a year ago it was seldon seen in proposed builds. With my clients the norm is more 32GB or up on new builds, a year ago it was 16GB

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016

Yeah, I'm starting out with 32 and hoping that when I go to 64 I can just buy the identical 32 kit and it will all work out (Of course it might not). I'd love to get 64 right now but I'm $600 over budget (Because for machine learning libraries I decided I must have a Titan X Pascal). But 32 should be plenty for now and should throwing another 32 kit in later not work (Must work and stay in quad mode), I'll just return it and buy a 64GB kit.

TRENDING THREADS