Question why did I have to raise new ram voltage?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
im wondering why I had to raise the voltage to 1.45v on my new ram, to get to the rated 3200mhz xmp speed. new ram is corsair vengeance pro rgb 32gb two 16gb modules. I think its Samsung b-die cause cpu-z said the ram man was Samsung did not say b-die. my system specs are asus prime csm b450m motherboard, ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.8ghz, gtx 1070 video card. the ram I was using before was 16gb 2x8 of corsair dominator platinum 3200mhz overclocked to 3400mhz easily.

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed? Motherboard firmware version is pretty critical on Ryzen chipsets for memory compatibility and performance issues.

What is the model of your memory kit?

Seems "off" that you would need that much voltage for 3200mhz sticks with only two sticks installed but it depends on the specs of the profile and module.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed? Motherboard firmware version is pretty critical on Ryzen chipsets for memory compatibility and performance issues.

Seems "off" that you would need that much voltage for 3200mhz sticks with only two sticks installed but it depends on the specs of the profile and module.
its 32gb corsair vengeance pro rgb 3200mhz, and yes latest bios is installed. I also wanted to know if cpu-z says Samsung does that mean Samsung b-die?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

also I guess I cant complain cause its working now. with the voltage at 1.45v

Last edited:
Samsung has MANY die models. The fact that it says samsung does not mean anything. If they are 3200mhz and they have a CL14 latency (CAS 14) then they are B-die sticks. If they have any CL latency other than 14 and they are 3200mhz sticks then they are not B-die. Knowing the exact model would tell us everything.

You can get the model if you are unsure by running CPU-Z and looking on the SPD tab. You will need to select one of the slots from the drop down menu that has a DIMM installed in it and then look at the part number in the specifications that become filled to the right.

You can also download and run Thaiphoon burner which offers in depth memory specifications, often including WHICH kind of dies are used.

http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Reactions: DMAN999

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Samsung has MANY die models. The fact that it says samsung does not mean anything. If they are 3200mhz and they have a CL14 latency (CAS 14) then they are B-die sticks. If they have any CL latency other than 14 and they are 3200mhz sticks then they are not B-die. Knowing the exact model would tell us everything.

You can get the model if you are unsure by running CPU-Z and looking on the SPD tab. You will need to select one of the slots from the drop down menu that has a DIMM installed in it and then look at the part number in the specifications that become filled to the right.

You can also download and run Thaiphoon burner which offers in depth memory specifications, often including WHICH kind of dies are used.

cmw32gx4m2c3200c16 that is the model number, thanks for your help.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

also the timings are currently 16-18-18-36-75-1t

Those are not B-die sticks. They are still good sticks though.

You should not need more than 1.36v to run those sticks, 1.38v max. At least, not when running only two sticks.

Make sure they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth DIMM slots over from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard. As seen here. This is for all consumer dual channel DDR3 or DDR4 motherboards, regardless of model.

357oq5c.jpg

Also, make sure you are on the latest motherboard BIOS, like I said before. I cannot stress ENOUGH how important BIOS updates are on the Ryzen platform regardless of whether it is a first or second gen chipset or CPU.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

You should not need more than 1.36v to run those sticks, 1.38v max. At least, not when running only two sticks.

Make sure they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth DIMM slots over from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard. As seen here. This is for all consumer dual channel DDR3 or DDR4 motherboards, regardless of model.

357oq5c.jpg

Also, make sure you are on the latest motherboard BIOS, like I said before. I cannot stress ENOUGH how important BIOS updates are on the Ryzen platform regardless of whether it is a first or second gen chipset or CPU.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
yes the ram sticks are on a2 and b2, also I think I also tried 1.40v and would not boot just power cycled 3 times then back to bios. i can try to bump down the voltage a little, or keep the current 1.45v and overclock some more maybe? and yes the bios is up to date I just flashed it a week ago. also just to let you know this ram is not on my motherboards qvl list. that could also be a problem to. here is the link to my motherboard incase you need it. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-A-CSM/HelpDesk_BIOS/

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

357oq5c.jpg

also whats weird is the command rate went from 2 to1

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
yes the ram sticks are on a2 and b2, also I think I also tried 1.40v and would not boot just power cycled 3 times then back to bios. i can try to bump down the voltage a little, or keep the current 1.45v and overclock some more maybe? and yes the bios is up to date I just flashed it a week ago. also just to let you know this ram is not on my motherboards qvl list. that could also be a problem to. here is the link to my motherboard incase you need it. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-A-CSM/HelpDesk_BIOS/

So, you might need to abandon that and use the Ryzen calculator.

The problem might be twofold. One, you have a low end motherboard at the bottom of the stack for B450, and also you have a 1st gen Ryzen CPU that didn't have as good of a memory controller as the 2nd Gen processors. Both could be contributing factors.

Try the Ryzen calculator if you want. I wouldn't recommend running those sticks at the current voltage. You are already beyond spec for DDR4 under normal conditions.

If you can't get them to run at less than 1.38v, 1.4v MAXIMUM, then I'd drop the memory speed to 3000mhz and see if you can get them stable at that speed with 1.35-1.36v, IF the Ryzen calculator doesn't work out at the advertised 3200mhz.

Reactions: DMAN999

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

The problem might be twofold. One, you have a low end motherboard at the bottom of the stack for B450, and also you have a 1st gen Ryzen CPU that didn't have as good of a memory controller as the 2nd Gen processors. Both could be contributing factors.

Try the Ryzen calculator if you want. I wouldn't recommend running those sticks at the current voltage. You are already beyond spec for DDR4 under normal conditions.

If you can't get them to run at less than 1.38v, 1.4v MAXIMUM, then I'd drop the memory speed to 3000mhz and see if you can get them stable at that speed with 1.35-1.36v, IF the Ryzen calculator doesn't work out at the advertised 3200mhz.
I did drop the speed before to 3000mhz and I think it was 1.35v and it was fine. also I just called corsair, and they said my 1.45v is fine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's quite normal for RAM voltages to be high like that if the BIOS has RAM overvoltage or RAM specific LLC (load line calibration) enabled. Check your BIOS if something like that is indeed enabled. If there isn't anything like that then it's possible your CPU overvoltage setting is synced with RAM overvoltage and thus raising/enabling CPU overvoltage enables it for RAM as well.

1.35v is as high as needed for almost all DDR4-3200, though it can go as high as 1.5v with Intel XMP 2.0. 1.25v or lower would be more ideal.

Trident-Z C14 is B-die. C15 can be either B-die or D-die, depending on the batch. C16 is D-die. There are also a few A-die floating around, but those are extremely rare.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

also when I was using my corsair dominator platinum 16gb 3200mhz ram, it ran great no problems, I even overclocked it to 3400mhz no problem. so im guessing the issue might be that the board is not too compatible with this ram, this ram is also not on the qvl list for this motherboard.

QVL list is rarely an indication.............of anything. They test a few samples and that's it. They don't test everything out there on every board. QVL list is not meant to exclude memory from consideration, it is ONLY to show that THOSE specific samples HAVE been tested to work on that board to show general compatibility with a range of models.

Mostly, we ignore that. I'd worry more about the compatibility list at the memory manufacturers website than I would on the board manufacturers.

Ryzen is finicky when it comes to memory. That first gen Ryzen and that board combination may just not like those sticks. Also, your new sticks are a somewhat of a dillemma, because they are actually more like four sticks on two modules. Often more voltage is a requirement to run four modules, so it might not actually be that unusual to be honest. If it were ME, and I couldn't get them to run at the advertised speed and timings with the advertised promised voltage, when using only two sticks, I'd return them for a refund and try some different sticks. The Dominator platinum or Trident Z sticks are usually my first choice when dealing with platforms that are particular about memory. Getting high end B-die sticks would not be the worst idea in the world either.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
It's quite normal for RAM voltages to be high like that if the BIOS has RAM overvoltage or RAM specific LLC (load line calibration) enabled. Check your BIOS if something like that is indeed enabled. If there isn't anything like that then it's possible your CPU overvoltage setting is synced with RAM overvoltage and thus raising/enabling CPU overvoltage enables it for RAM as well.

1.35v is as high as needed for almost all DDR4-3200, though it can go as high as 1.5v with Intel XMP 2.0. 1.25v or lower would be more ideal.

Trident-Z C14 is B-die. C15 can be either B-die or D-die, depending on the batch. C16 is D-die. There are also a few A-die floating around, but those are extremely rare.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

ok so are you saying 1.45 volts is ok?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

and do you think the ram is ok or maybe defective, or just that the board doesn't like this ram too well? also the ram temps are around 38 to 39c

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
QVL list is rarely an indication.............of anything. They test a few samples and that's it. They don't test everything out there on every board. QVL list is not meant to exclude memory from consideration, it is ONLY to show that THOSE specific samples HAVE been tested to work on that board to show general compatibility with a range of models.

Mostly, we ignore that. I'd worry more about the compatibility list at the memory manufacturers website than I would on the board manufacturers.

Ryzen is finicky when it comes to memory. That first gen Ryzen and that board combination may just not like those sticks. Also, your new sticks are a somewhat of a dillemma, because they are actually more like four sticks on two modules. Often more voltage is a requirement to run four modules, so it might not actually be that unusual to be honest. If it were ME, and I couldn't get them to run at the advertised speed and timings with the advertised promised voltage, when using only two sticks, I'd return them for a refund and try some different sticks. The Dominator platinum or Trident Z sticks are usually my first choice when dealing with platforms that are particular about memory. Getting high end B-die sticks would not be the worst idea in the world either.
I have another question do I have to reset the bios before installing new ram, or no?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

ya I could not get the ram any higher than 3200mhz even with 1.45v all I could do is lower the speed.