why did llc make so much of a difference in my oc?

Celach

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
So when i was starting to overclock my 8600k with just changing the vcore and frequency i could barely get 4.7ghz stable at 1.35v, however when i changed the load line calibration from auto to level 4 (z370 prime-a) it instantly lowered my temps when i first changed it at 1.35v and was able to achieve 4.8ghz stable at 1.29.

Why did it make so much of a difference? since from what i saw in a gamersnexus video it shouldnt matter too much unless im pushing max voltages, was i experiencing extreme vdroop? dont really know much about this.

urbancamper

Distinguished
The cpu had an instruction set that will throttle the vcore(voltage) if it goes above the stock voltage limit. What Load Line Calibration does, is hold it the voltage at the place you set it, keeps it from going too low, or to high, depending what level you put it on.

For example, when I overclock my i5 8600k to 5ghz I set my vcore to 1.335v and my LLC to 4. 1 being highest and 10 being lowest. With the LLC at 4 it keeps it stable in that vicinity. While it does fluctuate a bit up to 1.345v, or sometimes down to 1.30v, the voltage to the cpu mostly stays where I set it, and never goes to a point where the cpu is unstable.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
As the CPU goes from idle to full load, voltage increases. But, while it does increase, it doesn't reach the number you specified as it drops a little. For example with LLC disabled, 1.30v at max load will become something between 1.26v-1.28v. LLC fixes that by applying a voltage boost (offset) to the CPU. Unfortunately, a high LLC can rise idle voltage too much.

More to read:
https://www.msi.com/blog/why-llc-is-your-friend-when-overclocking

Solution