Question Why did my Asus B350 Prime Plus board suddenly start showing No Signal at start up?

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I've used this MB on my Win 10 machine since 2017. Recently it became hard to "wake up" from Sleep. Now it briefly shows "No signal" at boot up. Monitor works on my old Win 7 machine with an earlier Asus MB.

BTW, I did put an Asus graphics card in the B350 but for some reason I never used it, perhaps because I don't really need fast graphics for the kind of work I do... software development. Today I pulled it out just to eliminate a potential problem. Maybe I should just put it back in and plug the monitor into it?

TIA

Ed.

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Thanks!
Just took another look at the box it came in and saw it's a 1600, not 1800. However, it's spec clearly says it has no integrated graphics. I'll reinstall the Asus Q8464 graphics card & give it a try.

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Opps, it's Q8434. I must be going blind as well as mentally feeble ;)

Here's an update of where I am.

With the display properly connected to the GPU the machine now does boot up and works normally. However, it is incredibly slow in getting there.
After having been asleep, the the usual keyboard or mouse clicks doesn't seem to do much. I can see the front panel disk activity LED blinking but nothing on the display. If I turn the display off and back on "No signal" is displayed for a second or 2 then blank again. If I keep doing that it will eventually start showing things other than "no signal," but very briefly. If just leave it alone for awhile, perhaps 30-45 minutes, when I return the screen shows the normal desktop and all is well. In a nutshell, it simply has a very, very long boot up time.

I've done stuff like defragmenting the disks but Windows tells by they don't need it, presumably because it's being done automatically. My C: drive, a 250GB SSD, is about 70% full. I'll do a security scan overnight.

This discussion might now be more of a software problem, but if you have any more suggestions I'd be interested.

Ed