[SOLVED] Why did my paging file go up from 1.8 to 2.3 GB?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James_369

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
So, I have Windows automate the sizing of my Page File and up until recently, it sticked to 1.8 GB. However, it's now begun to climb up by 500 MB to 2.3 GB and has not come back down since.

What happened? How did this change? Is there a way to change it back without tinkering with the paging file settings?

Obligatory computer info dump:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.84 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Solution
Yeah, fair enough point on the MB bit. Though, it's on a 256 GB SSD, so for me, every space counts.

I guess one more question: I think there is one game that I suspect might have been the cause of the 500 mb spike. If I don't play it much, would Windows take that into consideration and lower the pagefile?
Windows will do what it thinks it needs to do. If that one game is indeed the cause, and you're not playing it anymore, it may reduce.

But....500MB out of a 256GB drive is 0.2%.
honestly hard drive space shouldn't be a problem with the size drives are getting.

Its a big deal over nothing.
It depends on what you are doing as media production and other activities require tremendous amounts of drive space. Also about how much you want to optimize your system for what you are doing. I'd rather windows not mess around thinking about swap file and managing it. I set it, it does it, I get work done.

It depends on what you are doing as media production and other activities require tremendous amounts of drive space. Also about how much you want to optimize your system for what you are doing. I'd rather windows not mess around thinking about swap file and managing it. I set it, it does it, I get work done.
The problem I see with this use case is using the OS drive/partition as a data store. Assuming this is work purely done on a desktop, you should be dumping that stuff on a separate drive that Windows doesn't care about setting a page file on.

The problem I see with this use case is using the OS drive/partition as a data store. Assuming this is work purely done on a desktop, you should be dumping that stuff on a separate drive that Windows doesn't care about setting a page file on.
Not everyone can afford multiple drives, and windows stupidity doesn't change when it has more resources--it manages them just as badly, lol.