[SOLVED] Why did my pc overheat so bad?

Dec 27, 2021
It doesn't usually do this but when I ran Prime95 last night to see if my max temps were ok, it turned out they weren't. It did this after a few minutes of running it and before the temps didn't go over 90°C.
I know my case isn't the best for airflow but I have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan on my Aerocool Shard Tempered Glass and mt r5 3600 is being cooled by a Cryorig M9 plus.

Solution
for a low-end cooler and a rather generic low airflow case i would expect similar temperatures to what you are seeing in these scenarios.

to "fix" this issue you would need at the very least much better fans on that cooler and a better case setup.
Cryorig makes some high-end cooling components but that cooler uses some of the cheapest/lowest quality they have available.
I have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan
the make & model of these fans, their airflow, and their air pressure means as much if not more than their placement.
just because blades are spinning doesn't mean they're moving much air.
so you can have almost no cool air coming in and almost no warm air exhausting out.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It doesn't usually do this but when I ran Prime95 last night to see if my max temps were ok, it turned out they weren't. It did this after a few minutes of running it and before the temps didn't go over 90°C.
I know my case isn't the best for airflow but I have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan on my Aerocool Shard Tempered Glass and mt r5 3600 is being cooled by a Cryorig M9 plus.
The minium are also in the 75-77C range. Was this monitoring just during the Prime95 run?

What are idle and medium load temps like?

If the cooler is setup properly I'd suggest you need a better cooler.

Dec 27, 2021
The minium are also in the 75-77C range. Was this monitoring just during the Prime95 run?

What are idle and medium load temps like?

If the cooler is setup properly I'd suggest you need a better cooler.
I reset the temps after starting the run and reaching (what seemed like a max temp)
The idle temp is somewhere in the 40-45 degree range, the medium load (15 chrome tabs, a youtube video, Minecraft open) is about 60-65 degrees.
And yeah, the case is awful in terms of airflow, I'll get something better as soon as I can afford it. I have static pressure-oriented fans so that should ease my issue a bit but I still don't understand why it overheated after a few minutes of running.
I'll check if the ambient temps too after posting this and getting ready to have my pc shut down.
Edit: If the motherboard reportings are anything to go by, my idle temps got lower because my case fans ramped up more. Also, what cooler do you recommend I go for if I'm on a budget? I think I can figure a case out but have no idea in terms of CPU coolers.

Last edited:
for a low-end cooler and a rather generic low airflow case i would expect similar temperatures to what you are seeing in these scenarios.

to "fix" this issue you would need at the very least much better fans on that cooler and a better case setup.
Cryorig makes some high-end cooling components but that cooler uses some of the cheapest/lowest quality they have available.
I have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan
the make & model of these fans, their airflow, and their air pressure means as much if not more than their placement.
so you can have almost no cool air coming in and almost no warm air exhausting out.

Solution
Dec 27, 2021

The case fans I have are the ROG Strix XF 120A's

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I reset the temps after starting the run and reaching (what seemed like a max temp)
The idle temp is somewhere in the 40-45 degree range, the medium load (15 chrome tabs, a youtube video, Minecraft open) is about 60-65 degrees.
And yeah, the case is awful in terms of airflow, I'll get something better as soon as I can afford it. I have static pressure-oriented fans so that should ease my issue a bit but I still don't understand why it overheated after a few minutes of running.
I'll check if the ambient temps too after posting this and getting ready to have my pc shut down.
Edit: If the motherboard reportings are anything to go by, my idle temps got lower because my case fans ramped up more. Also, what cooler do you recommend I go for if I'm on a budget? I think I can figure a case out but have no idea in terms of CPU coolers.
Yes as I said above, and others have well pointed out, that cooler is not sufficient and the air flow in the case is minimal to cause those kinds of temps at idle and kind of mid-level loads and under heavy load.

It's exactly as JohnBonhamsGhost said, the main point to keep in mind is that merely having fans that turns doens't mean the case is well-ventilated to meet the heat-dissipation needs of the system.

case fans I have are the ROG Strix XF
those are decent fans, as in they would work okay in a basic desktop with a well ventilated case.
but not strong enough for a gaming system with minimal airflow.

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components,
your average ambient room temperature,
and the placement of your system (ie; desktop, cabinet, under desk, floor, etc).

Dec 27, 2021
those are decent fans, as in they would work okay in a basic desktop with a well ventilated case.
but not strong enough for a gaming system with minimal airflow.

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components,
your average ambient room temperature,
and the placement of your system (ie; desktop, cabinet, under desk, floor, etc).
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1650 Super WindForce2 OC (GV-N165SWF2OC-4GD)
Case: Aerocool Shard Tempered Glass
RAM: 2x DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2400MHz CL16
Mobo: MSI B450M BAZOOKA V2 (MS-7A38)
Storage: 1x Kingston - SA2000M8250G 250Gb I 1x Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB SSHD

Placement is under my desk on the floor, the ambient temp is about 19-21 degrees C