Question Why did the new April Windows Updates cause so many problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2022
After fixing the problem using update assistant, i was wondering what was the cause of the problem ?

It could be anything from:
  • The update not playing nice with one of the drivers you have
  • Software that you run that expected one thing from the OS but got another thing after the update (though this is only an issue if the software does something Microsoft said not to do or isn't documented behavior)
  • Some configuration of your OS that no longer works nice with the update
  • The update not applied correctly, but the OS thought it was
  • etc. etc. etc.
People have some presumption that Windows Updates cause more problems than they solve, but in the last... I dunno, 25 years of actually caring about what goes on, I've only had one update screw something up in my computer and it was something I could resolve without rolling the update back.

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
Not being uhh, able to install it. Some users had frequent bsod's after the update too.

How do you know it caused any problems for you if it never installed?

What users had the BSODs? Honestly, I've read that about every update MS has put out for Win 10 since 2015.

But, to go back, is the update saying that it couldn't install at this time, and will try again later? That can happen - it's happened to me. Best thing I could do was uninstall the last update, or maybe even the last few, and then it will reinstall those last few including the one that was borked. But, that may not always work. If not, then there's deeper existing problems and not the update itself.

D

Deleted member 14196

if you can't install it, yeah, you may have other windows issues going on. search engines are your friend too. type in a description of your problem and it should hone you in on some potential solutions.

we also had zero issues with updates for the past several decades now. they are bothersome sometimes i agree but necessary in the end

Colif

Win 11 Master
running this on PC before updating might help

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

maybe Microsoft are bored and just wanted to stir some trouble up? Or that could just be me.

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. Don’t listen to a bunch of morons on the Internet which is what Reddit is

All of our current AMD systems are running the latest windows I can assure you that it’s bull crap

Reactions: drivinfast247

Colif

Win 11 Master
I dunno I've even read stuff such as AMD doesn't even support windows 10 after 1809 somewhere.
1809 released Sept 2018

the AMD Power plans require a version of windows 10 released after 2019
AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Newest X570 chipset drivers for WIn 10 are 14th March 2022 so yeah, they never stopped supporting 10... or yet anyway. Ask me in 4 years.

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016

DSzymborski

Titan
If you read my thread in Windows 10 you'd assume am not throwin mud into AMD.. there were over 100 comms and iirc there was an article too, not just a simple post.. anyhow take a look at an interesting article from april 2021

https://www.windowscentral.com/latest-windows-10-update-causing-nightmare-gamers

That was a very specific problem.

It doesn't mean it's any more likely there's a problem now, that you have an actual Windows problem, or that something you saw from some dude on Reddit is any more applicable.

The OP clearly has an issue. If you have nothing to assist them with, keep your issues to your own thread rather than muddying up the issue with odd references to problems with a specific update from a year ago and made up nonsense about AMD not supporting Windows 10 the last 18 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sick Jacken

USAFRet

Titan
plus 1..

what updates need to be added/removed to keep the number of BSOD to a minimum, is the only option to go all Linux/Penguin based OS? remember BSOD's are part of "windows xP E R I E n c 33"
If you're having multiple BSOD, you have issues other than just the routine Windows updates.

And please don't hijack THIS thread for YOUR issues.
Please start a new one if your particular situation is bad enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.