Question Why do Adrenaline tuning settings reset on reboot ?

Ijustdontknowanything

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Hi,

I just got a RX 6800 XT a couple of days ago and im having some issues with the OC im trying to do.
Basically the settings i apply get reset every time i reboot the pc. Actually the clock does stay applied (im doing 2500MHz with 1100mV and 2150MHz on the VRAM) however VRAM, fan curve and power consumption all get reset back to default.
From what i have benn able to find out this is a pretty common issue and hints towards a driver problem i guess...
I have seen suggestions to uninstall Afterburner and Rivatuner and i did do that but it didnt help.

I also tried setting the overclock through afterburner but the same thing happens, it makes sense though.

I got the msi rx 6800 xt gaming x trio.
Right now im thinking its a driver issue?
Or perhaps thats just how its supposed to work for this card? I mean maybe you are supposed to apply the oc for when you are playing games and they want it at default when you are not. The only thing thats kind of weird about that is that the zero rpm mode gets turned on again which i really am not a fan of. But again maybe thats just how its supposed to be for this card.

If anyone has this card it would be much appreciated if you could confirm any of this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ijustdontknowanything

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Update: I did the same overclock i got in Adrenaline Software but this time through Afterburner and i enabled "apply at windows startup" and now my overclock is engaged immediately without me having to load the profile in Adrenaline Software.
The only downside with this is that Afterburner overrides the fan curve i got in Adrenaline Software. Guess it doesn't really matter though since its the same thing and this way i'm forcing zero rpm mode to stay disabled.

I would still like to know why Adrenaline Software keeps resetting on reboot though. I'm certain that it has nothing to do with my actual overclock since people are doing 2.6 - 2.8 MHz overclocks on the RX 6800 XT, my 2.5 MHz is pretty modest i'd say. Hell people are doing 2.5 on the non XT model... Also, the card already runs at 2334 MHz at default. Whats another 170 MHz roughly.
And it runs fine, i have done Firestrike, Superposition benchmarks as well as played some demanding games in 4k such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Mafia Definitive Edition, no issues with any of it.