Question Why do all games crash?

TheMenace4Life

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
Recently upgraded my pc to Ryzen 7 2700X and RTX 2070 Super. Everything appears to be working fine. However when I play games, they all crash anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes of play. Specifically Metro Exodus, Gears of War 5, those two were playing through the xbox app. I moved over to Steam to test some others and tried Warframe as well as Bioshock Infinite. Everything plays fine until it crashes out of nowhere. No errors or anything. Nothing is overclocked. Temps are good max 65C. tried 1080P, 1440P same thing. Stress tested the entire system, everything is fine. Benchmarks look great. Memtest86 found no errors. PSU voltages are within spec.

I tried a "clean" windows as well, disabling all services and startup items, games still crash. I disabled all in game overlays. still crashes.

Here is the user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23594983

SYSTEM SPECS
Board: Gigabyte x570 Elite (F11 bios, latest chipset driver)
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (no overclock)
GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black Gaming (no overclock)
RAM: Gkill RipJaws (2x8GB) DDR4, XMP profile @ 3200mhz (tried disabling XMP and that didn't help. Tried one stick as well which didn't help either)
PSU: Rosewill Fortress-750
HDD: Seagate 4TB 7200 (tested fine in benchmarks and tried my SSD too)

DISPLAY
TCL 55p607 - 4K HDR 60HZ display connected via HDMI.

PLEASE HELP!!!

FYI, I initially had some issues with this card which seems to have been related to possible refresh rate issue and/or power cable. That info can be found here in this thread. It seems to have been resolved. Everything plays fine now, it just crashes.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hdr-problems-bad-card.3564184/

with your comparison of the 660 Ti showing that the 2070 had problems where it did not, i would of course assume that the 2070 is just a bad card.

if you have the option, I would definitely test the 2070 in another system before going through with the RMA just to verify for sure that the PSU isn't actually causing these erratic problems.
i always hate sitting around waiting for the RMA centers to test and decide what they're doing. i've had it take more than a month to get replacements sent and then even have found major cosmetic issues with the refurbished products they usually send as replacement. hopefully though it will be quick, get the issue(s) resolved and cost you nothing out of pocket.

TheMenace4Life

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
with your comparison of the 660 Ti showing that the 2070 had problems where it did not, i would of course assume that the 2070 is just a bad card.

if you have the option, I would definitely test the 2070 in another system before going through with the RMA just to verify for sure that the PSU isn't actually causing these erratic problems.
i always hate sitting around waiting for the RMA centers to test and decide what they're doing. i've had it take more than a month to get replacements sent and then even have found major cosmetic issues with the refurbished products they usually send as replacement. hopefully though it will be quick, get the issue(s) resolved and cost you nothing out of pocket.

Well... stupidly enough I submitted the rebate as soon as I received the card, so Newegg has refused to accept a return. I have to go through EVGA customer support and file a warranty claim.

With that being said I went ahead and ordered another power supply (EVGA Supernova 750 G5 ) because after I made this yesterday, I experienced my first crash with the 660ti gpu, and I had been playing for some time without issue. I am wondering if the psu is having issues once it needs to supply additional power to the gpu? anyway, I am going to try the new psu which should be here next week, if that doesn't work, then I'm at a loss idk what to do.

Well... stupidly enough I submitted the rebate as soon as I received the card, so Newegg has refused to accept a return. I have to go through EVGA customer support and file a warranty claim.
With that being said I went ahead and ordered another power supply (EVGA Supernova 750 G5 ) because after I made this yesterday, I experienced my first crash with the 660ti gpu, and I had been playing for some time without issue. I am wondering if the psu is having issues once it needs to supply additional power to the gpu? anyway, I am going to try the new psu which should be here next week, if that doesn't work, then I'm at a loss idk what to do.
EVGA has always seemed easy to deal with and one of the better companies regarding hardware issues / warranty claims. it just took some time for them to go through their "tests" and get a replacement AIO cooler sent out to me. but hopefully you will not need to go that route. now also having issues with the 660 Ti it seems more likely that the old PSU may actually be the culprit. it may be fine running steady at lower power, but just has problems pushing a bit more.

the Supernova G5s have gotten great reviews on most sites plus the gold rating and 10 year warranty are a big +.
good luck.

TheMenace4Life

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
I wanted to come back here and give an update in case anyone else has issues. After I thought all the issues were gone, games kept crashing. I rma'd the card. So I finally got a replacement card from EVGA. Stuck it in and I should've tested games first but I ran a stress test first and this time using realbench I decided to do a 15 min first, which it passed just like before but after doing more research I found that I really should run at least a 2hr so I did. System instability at 58 minutes. I never ran more than a 15 min test with the other card so it's likely I never would of found this issue. I ran it again and the same thing. I decided to pop out the cpu and figure out if there was some issue there because I remembered when I initially installed it, I got an error about the cpu fan (don't know why, it was working) so I took the cooler off and it popped out the cpu with it, they were stuck together because I think I had too much thermal paste on there and when I tried to get it off I think I got a little bit of paste on the pins of the cpu. I tried cleaning it but apparently not good enough. I couldn't see any to the naked eye but I took it to work and under the microscope cleaned it with alcohol 99% and a brush, there was definitely some on the pins. all of the sudden all problems are completely gone. I played gears 5 and metro for hours yesterday with no issues and after running 2hr stress test it passed no issues. I noted that the cpu is 3-4 degrees cooler at idle and sitting around 10-12 degrees cooler at 100% load. It was getting up to 82 degrees and now after 2 hour stress test max temp was 71. I am wondering if the first card was fine and I screwed up the cpu installation. but whatever it's working now just wanted to put this hear in case anyone else has issues to make sure they didn't do the same thing as me.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost