[SOLVED] Why do games crash randomly and sometimes cause bluescreen on my pc?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Please help me. I've been having a really hard time playing games due to random crashes and blue screen of deaths. :'(
Firstly, here's my computer:
CPU: Intel core i3 6100 (3.7ghz, dual core)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 (4gb, zotac OC)
RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Lpx DDR4 2400mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110m-s2pv
Monitor: LG 22MP68VQ (1920X1080,60Hz)
PSU: Corsair VS450
HDD: 1TB internal + 512GB external (Used a case to convert to an external from laptop internal)

Games crash to desktop randomly and sometimes(4-5 times a week) cause blue screen (Memory management, IRQL not less or equal, Page fault in non-paged area, Driver IRQL not less or equal - are most common)
Even faced blue screen once while installing a game
After a restart, the games run quite well for 20-30mins and then it continuously crashes to desktop

What I've tried:
  1. Updating graphics drivers to the latest version
  2. Upgrading windows to the latest version (from 1803 to 1903)
  3. Run windows memory diagnostic tool (everything seems fine)
  4. Run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
  5. Take my computer to the shop I bought it from(they couldn't find any problems)
  6. Try other games(games I've tried: Fifa 19, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, FarCry 5, FarCry New Dawn, FarCry Primal, FarCry 4(the problem occurs less while playing FarCry Primal & FarCry 4 but it could be only because these two games require minimum 4gb where others require 8gb of ram))Less demanding games don't crash at all ( Fifa 15 or older, FarCry 3, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm revolution)
  7. Check out a lot of threads on different forums and try out many things
  8. This problem occured from before buying the GTX 1650 when I used only intel HD graphics 530 which used 4GB of system ram
  9. Tried running games from both internal and external HDD
  10. Clean the computer and heatsinks
  11. Tried different quality settings from low to ultra but switching to low quality only postpones the crash by a few minutes
  12. Updating Intel Management Engine Interface & INF drivers (I have never updated BIOS, though)[Do I need to update some more drivers or BIOS?]

Last edited:
Solution
1)That would default to 2133 anyway. What's of interest is the timings below that. But, if none of them are helping, then you really have a faulty kit on your hands.

2)Here's what I managed to find on that:
"It's a process associated with Gigabyte's Smart Timelock feature in their appcenter."
"Vendors like GIGABYTE and MSI have some small programs that come with their motherboard drivers/software downloads."

Do a scan of your system with Adwcleaner here: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner
Quarantine and delete everything it finds.

1. Try MSCONFIG (type it in the start menu). See if you can find AlarmClock.exe from the Services tab and try to disable the service before removing it.
  2. Find the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But the last time I plugged the cpu fan, i was sure I heard clicking sounds. Is there any way to make sure they're in place by looking from the outside?
Unfortunately, no.
Testing the cpu under load is the best way to be sure.
The I3 6100 has a max operating temp of 100C. Intel's own cooler should be capable of keeping the cpu 15-20C below that.
The image you posted earlier shows that it cranked up to 100C in under 5 mins. Not ideal.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
UPDATE: On Aida64, memory stress test results to a "hardware failure detected".

CPU, FPU and Cache stress tests lead to throttling (probably because they use my CPU intensively and apparently my CPU seems to be overheating)
So, I guess both memetest86 and Aida64 proves that my RAM is faulty?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
UPDATE: On Aida64, memory stress test results to a "hardware failure detected".

CPU, FPU and Cache stress tests lead to throttling (probably because they use my CPU intensively and apparently my CPU seems to be overheating)
So, I guess both memetest86 and Aida64 proves that my RAM is faulty?
Yea, all 3 of those at once are too hard on the cpu.

Yep, ram is defective. The ram should be error free.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
UPDATE: I still haven't sent the RAM for RMA cause I was waiting for the week to end. I was hoping to return it for RMA tomorrow and wanted to run memtest86 again for the last time before I send it. But very weirdly, memtest86 does not show a single error.
How can a defective RAM get fixed autautomatically?
[I still face the same problems while playing games(crashes, freezes and BSODs. That means something the problems haven't yet been solved]
View: https://imgur.com/a/DYwzBNd

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AIDA64 is a bit more thorough than the Memtest86 free version(limited to 4 passes). Both are more reliable than Windows Memory Diagnostic.
I would run Memtest86 again and see if you get a repeat of that.

You could also remove the cpu and check the motherboard socket for bent or broken pins - you might need a magnifying glass so you don't strain your eyes trying to look over all those pins.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
AIDA64 is a bit more thorough than the Memtest86 free version(limited to 4 passes). Both are more reliable than Windows Memory Diagnostic.
I would run Memtest86 again and see if you get a repeat of that.

You could also remove the cpu and check the motherboard socket for bent or broken pins - you might need a magnifying glass so you don't strain your eyes trying to look over all those pins.
But, since the day I built this PC, the CPU was never again reinserted. And i don't want to take the risk of bending my pins while looking for bent pins :'(

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
But there was this one time I took my PC to the salesmen I bought it from(they are the one of the most reputed in my country) to see if they could solve my problem. They kept it for a day and reassembled the PC and said that they couldn't find anything wrong. As this was way after I started facing the problems, I think if there is any bent pin, it was probably bent the very first day when I bought it

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
The truth is, I cannot tell exactly when it started. Because I played light games(farcry 3, nfs the run etc) for the first 1/2 years(and the problem seems to occur too less on light games). The problems became visible and occurred more often when i started playing medium heavy to heavy games(starting with FarCry 4). And I don't remember if I faced the problem or not before playing heavier games.

The owner of this thread seems to have similar problems:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah... harder to make a conclusion without finding the common denominator among them all.
Still looks like a hardware issue - when you push the system hard enough.
Software tends to be more erratic, or random; something can go wrong even if you weren't doing anything.

Reactions: Ziadul87

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I have 3 questions:
  1. If I send the RAM for RMA via the salesmen I bought it from and the RAM proves to be alright, will they charge me for the delivery fees?
  2. If I buy another identical RAM (same model, same timings), will they pair?
  3. By any chance, could manually changing RAM timings to the Corsair tested timings solve this problem?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)No.
2)Yes. But whether the 2 sticks will cooperate with one another or not, is an entirely different story... mixing ram is always a shot in the dark.
3)If the motherboard is running a different set of timings from the 14-16-16-31, then quite possibly.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
1)No.
2)Yes. But whether the 2 sticks will cooperate with one another or not, is an entirely different story... mixing ram is always a shot in the dark.
3)If the motherboard is running a different set of timings from the 14-16-16-31, then quite possibly.
How can I be sure if my RAM is the C14(14-16-16-31) or the C16(16-16-16-39) variant of vengeance lpx DDR4 2400mhz(8gb)?
Memtest86 shows that my timings are 16-16-16-39. So, I guess mine is C16?
& also, my motherboard downclocks my RAM to run at 2133mhz. And Corsair doesn't provide SPD or tested clock speed of 2133mhz for the C16 variant.
Note: My RAM is not listed in Gigabyte's list of supported RAMs for my motherboard.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu-Z can tell you what your current primary timings are, as well as show you if there are other memory profiles available on the kit.
main.php
This kit has timings of 8-8-8-24

SPD.PNG.69cffe4cab33c807d8a760c33a2870a9.PNG
This kit here has 4 different profiles you can enter manually in bios.

Just because your kit isn't listed, does not mean it isn't supported. Corsair is one of the more popular vendors and is more likely to work with a variety of mobos, unlike one from... Nanya Technology.

Oh, for crying out loud, it's another one of these!
The product page for the motherboard says it supports 2133 and 2400, but when I check the QVL, it says it automatically downclocks 2400 kits...
That would mean it doesn't really support 2400... Ohhh, that is so bloody stupid...

You should be able to change the primary timings at least.

Reactions: Ziadul87

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That would default to 2133 anyway. What's of interest is the timings below that. But, if none of them are helping, then you really have a faulty kit on your hands.

2)Here's what I managed to find on that:
"It's a process associated with Gigabyte's Smart Timelock feature in their appcenter."
"Vendors like GIGABYTE and MSI have some small programs that come with their motherboard drivers/software downloads."

Do a scan of your system with Adwcleaner here: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner
Quarantine and delete everything it finds.

1. Try MSCONFIG (type it in the start menu). See if you can find AlarmClock.exe from the Services tab and try to disable the service before removing it.
  2. Find the directory to the process AlarmClock.exe. Where it is running from can tell you a lot about the file, such as the program that is running it.
  3. Uninstall the program that's running it via 'Add or Remove Programs'.
  4. If this fails try to kill the process inside Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. More than likely the process will be listed here.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS