[SOLVED] Why do good graphics cards perform worse than inferior graphics cards in older games ?

Apr 25, 2021
In order to play CS 1.6 without experiencing continuous fps decreases, I had to decrease downgrade my graphics card.

I have an AMD RX 550 4GB graphics card, which plays CS:GO fine, however CS 1.6 experienced large FPS reductions from 60 to 30-40 every time there were a lot of objects on the map or night vision was turned on, rendering the game unplayable. So I went back to my old graphics card, an Nvidia GT 710 2GB, and CS 1.6 now runs at 60 frames per second without a single fps dip, even with the most demanding maps with night vision enabled.

What's going on? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Solution
Since the advent of PCIe, not a lot has really changed between GPUs.

DX9 and up are pretty much 'modern' APIs that every PCIe GPU should be able to handle. I also suspect some sort of driver problem. Older games might have issues with larger amounts of video memory, 32bit engines might throw a fit if you go above 4GB. Though I would think the API would just lie to the game. Very high resolution monitors might also present a problem to some games, might take modifying config files manually.

I suspect more of a software issue. Try running the game in relevant compatibility modes as a first step, reducing resolution, etc.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
In order to play CS 1.6 without experiencing continuous fps decreases, I had to decrease downgrade my graphics card.

I have an AMD RX 550 4GB graphics card, which plays CS:GO fine, however CS 1.6 experienced large FPS reductions from 60 to 30-40 every time there were a lot of objects on the map or night vision was turned on, rendering the game unplayable. So I went back to my old graphics card, an Nvidia GT 710 2GB, and CS 1.6 now runs at 60 frames per second without a single fps dip, even with the most demanding maps with night vision enabled.

Not a solution, but I too noticed this when I tested my RX 580 and GTX 1080 on Crysis 3. I remember playing the game smoothly on my 660 back then (and that was with an i5 3570K!) , but the 580 and 1080 chugged like no tomorrow. Pulled up RTSS and saw low CPU and GPU usage. Some guys in the AMD forum IIRC mentioned that the game is the culprit; though I forgot the technicalities. More modern games like FC5 saw improvements, though, as they should be.

My best guess is either newer GPUs aren't as optimized for older rendering techniques, or its the drivers that aren't optimized. Can be a bit of both, but I just chalked it up to the latter. It sucks really.

You will get more help with the issue if you provide full details on your system including PSU size and brand info.

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
Maybe you didnt uninstall the Nvidia Drivers?
I have an rx 570 which is in the same family of gpus as yours and i have NEVER experienced any sort of fps dip on cs 1.6 and i play it pretty frequently.Like a lot.Even if i set it at 200 fps per second-i usually set it at 100 or 120,it never ever goes down.The rx 570 and rx 550 most likely share the same codecs,same type of engineering,but the 550 has less of it,so i dont think it has anything to do with it being a newer gpu.Plus cs 1.6 gets updated even in 2021 on steam.
So idk what to tell you.Did you uninstall the NVIDIA drivers with DDU and installed the AMD drivers?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Since the advent of PCIe, not a lot has really changed between GPUs.

DX9 and up are pretty much 'modern' APIs that every PCIe GPU should be able to handle. I also suspect some sort of driver problem. Older games might have issues with larger amounts of video memory, 32bit engines might throw a fit if you go above 4GB. Though I would think the API would just lie to the game. Very high resolution monitors might also present a problem to some games, might take modifying config files manually.

I suspect more of a software issue. Try running the game in relevant compatibility modes as a first step, reducing resolution, etc.

Solution