Why do GPU prices keep going up and up?

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Is crypto currency mining still the prime mover in the ever increasing cost of top end GPUs? They certainly haven't come down with the release of 'Vega' as many suggested.

Solution
There are several factors. Mining in one reason for the large demand. Another that has been suggested is the popularity of PUBG. People are upgrading their systems to be able to play that game better. Another issue is have you seen ram prices? RAM chips are also on GPUs and they are now packing not just 2 or 4GBs onto the card, but 8, 11, or 12GBs. With the ram shortage going on that is also adding to the cost of the cards. Finally, I've also seen it suggested that yields aren't as good this time around. If the yield rate is lower, ram costs more than it should or usually does, and people are buying cards for the new hot game/mining, that just leads to much higher prices.

4745454b

Titan
There are several factors. Mining in one reason for the large demand. Another that has been suggested is the popularity of PUBG. People are upgrading their systems to be able to play that game better. Another issue is have you seen ram prices? RAM chips are also on GPUs and they are now packing not just 2 or 4GBs onto the card, but 8, 11, or 12GBs. With the ram shortage going on that is also adding to the cost of the cards. Finally, I've also seen it suggested that yields aren't as good this time around. If the yield rate is lower, ram costs more than it should or usually does, and people are buying cards for the new hot game/mining, that just leads to much higher prices.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Many crypto currencies' prices have skyrocketed over the last year and with that, the cost-benefit threshold for GPUs increased by a similar amount.

The more mining-efficient GPUs will remain massively over-priced until the crypto-coin market implodes. When it does, the GPU market will crash due to miners having tens to hundreds of thousands of GPUs to get rid of. That will mess up the consumer market for several months and could make it difficult for AMD and Nvidia to sell their next-gen GPUs.

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

Thanks for your info.

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

many thks for your response

p1st1l4c4

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
well i hope someone in the US finally banns the <mod edit> out of this crypto craze <mod edit>.... i want a new high end gpu and i cannot buy one because they are simply not available on any price. cannot even order it. all out of stock lol

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language in these forums>

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

I fully understand your anger!!

InvalidError

Titan
The next obstacle to getting high-end consumer GPUs could be AMD and Nvidia's increased focus on AI/compute/data-mining markets where they can get 3-5X as much revenue per wafer. Expect the lag between new GPU architecture hitting datacenters/research and that same architecture reaching mainstream to increase in the future.