[SOLVED] Why do Graphics cards have a power limit?

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I have a RTX 2070 armor and I can't go above 114% power. I can't overclock any further than 130 Mhz because my GPU doesn't get enough power. Why is there a power limit? I have a 750W power supply so why won't Nvidia/Msi let me get better performance?

Solution
I have a RTX 2070 armor and I can't go above 114% power. I can't overclock any further than 130 Mhz because my GPU doesn't get enough power. Why is there a power limit? I have a 750W power supply so why won't Nvidia/Msi let me get better performance?
Power produces heat (not just gpu or vram temperatures) and excessive voltage kills or reduces the life of other components. These limits are there as protection measures to stop people killing their gpu. These companies don’t want you to have a bad experience killing a gpu and they don’t want lots of warranty claims.
Power produces heat (not just gpu or vram temperatures) and excessive voltage kills or reduces the life of other components. These limits are there as protection measures to stop people killing their gpu. These companies don’t want you to have a bad experience killing a gpu and they don’t want lots of warranty claims.

Solution