Question Why do higher tier 3060 Tis not have GDDR6X? (Strix etc.)

Jun 3, 2023
Comparing 3060 Tis, I noticed that the best models aka ones where the manufacturer didn't cheap out on heatsink and fans like asus strix, msi gaming x etc , don't have GDDR6X, but rather GDDR6.

Why is that? They already cost substantially more than the "normal" variants (instead of Strix 435€ let's say Dual 350€).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Simply depends when they were made basically. There are two main revisions of the 3060Ti as well.

GDDR6 and GDDR6X prices fluctuate, not to mention demand shifts. If a company has excess GDDR6X they will use it.

Because some of those GPUs are older BATCH chips. And due to price fluctuation, demand, economy, and current inventory of these memory chips, some GPU vendors/AIBs used whatever was better/feasible or economical for them at that time.

Also, just in case you are wondering how much is the performance between both these memory modules/types is, it is minuscule. The GDDR6X variant is just 3% faster than the GDDR6 model, at least in gaming. Synthetic benchmarks might show a slight improvement though, but in games it's not very huge.

The increased raw bandwidth sometimes helps, but in many reviews the performance between the G6X and G6 variant was not VERY high. Not sure about other third-party reviews, as I'm not up to date with this, so maybe in some other reviews the performance might be slightly higher, at least on higher resolution.

Reactions: IamNotChatGpt
Jun 3, 2023
Because some of those GPUs are older BATCH chips. And due to price fluctuation, demand, economy, and current inventory of these memory chips, some GPU vendors/AIBs used whatever was better/feasible or economical for them at that time.

Also, just in case you are wondering how much is the performance between both these memory modules/types is, it is minuscule. The GDDR6X variant is just 3% faster than the GDDR6 model, at least in gaming. Synthetic benchmarks might show a slight improvement though, but in games it's not very huge.

The increased raw bandwidth sometimes helps, but in many reviews the performance between the G6X and G6 variant was not VERY high. Not sure about other third-party reviews, as I'm not up to date with this, so maybe in some other reviews the performance might be slightly higher, at least on higher resolution.

Thank you that explains it.
I just think it should be shipped by default, at those prices.

It's like spending 470€ for a 4060 Ti but getting a 4050-- oh..

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

TRENDING THREADS