[SOLVED] Why do I disconnect from online games? Why does my VPN no longer work?

Jan 9, 2021
Hello everyone. It has been around 2-3 weeks since I first built my PC. I built it mostly for gaming.
These are the specs:
Power supply - Montech Gamma ll 650W, 80+ Gold Certified
Motherboard - X470 Gaming Plus Max
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Graphics card - GTX 1660 Super 6GB
RAM - 2 x 8GB 3600MHz
Storage - Samsung SSD 1 TB
The problem I have had since I finished building it is playing online. Every time I try to play games with my friends (Minecraft, Valorant, Warzone) I get disconnected from the game within 5-10 minutes. For Valorant and Minecraft, I am able to connect back but I get disconnected around 30 minutes. The worst thing that has happened was my computer just restarting mid-game but it has only occurred twice. I do not think I disconnect from the internet because my games disconnect but discord stays on.The solution that originally worked for me was to turn on my VPN and I would no longer disconnect from games. VPN stopped working after a week or so and I have no idea why. I have tried using different VPN services but they all fail to connect. The only other method that has stopped my games from disconnecting was using wireless connection instead of wired connection. I connect my computer with an ethernet connection through a wireless extender. I made sure to install and update my motherboard drivers and my GPU drivers. I am not sure what to do anymore. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Ok my concern was some people plug a cable between their pc and a wifi extender and call that a "wired" connection. This still have a wifi hop in it, and really is not much different than a USB cable to wifi nic except you are using a ethernet cable.

You did the test exactly how it should be done. It is hard to find these random issues.

What ping transmit failed generally means is the ethernet port itself went down. It also be that it just lost the ip address but that would not be as common.

Maybe the event log in the computer will give you a clue as to what is failing.

If it stays broken long enough try a ipconfig /all. These are tricky when the port drops and immediately reconnects.

I would suspect a bad cable but you...
When you say wired connection do you mean you run a ethernet cable all the way to the router. When you tested with wifi was that using a internal wifi card. How is this related to the wireless extender.

Pretty standard first tests.

Leave a constant ping run to your router IP to see if you get loss in your house. At the same time leave a constant ping run to a common ip like 8.8.8.8. This should test the basic function of your internet. Depending what happens you will then try to ping other stuff to try to find out where things are breaking

Jan 9, 2021
When you say wired connection do you mean you run a ethernet cable all the way to the router. When you tested with wifi was that using a internal wifi card. How is this related to the wireless extender.

Pretty standard first tests.

Leave a constant ping run to your router IP to see if you get loss in your house. At the same time leave a constant ping run to a common ip like 8.8.8.8. This should test the basic function of your internet. Depending what happens you will then try to ping other stuff to try to find out where things are breaking
By wired connection, I mean that I connect an ethernet cable to the wireless extender to my computer. When I tested with wifi, I was using a USB Wifi adapter. I am planning to buy a Wifi adapter card soon since the USB Wifi adapter was for temporary use. I mentioned my wireless extender since I do not if it is related to the problem. I will try the first tests you suggested.
Update:
I ran a constant ping to my router IP and a constant a ping to 8.8.8.8. Everything was going fine, all of the packet were being received on both pings. I decided to play warzone while both ping were running in the back since I disconnect from that game fast. I get disconnected and I look at the command prompt for both of them. The ping to my router IP says this after the disconnect, "PING: transmit failed. General failure. "The pings after that message are ping that are being replied but say destination host unreachable. Also, I am not sure if this is suppose to happen but after the "PING: transmit failed. General failure" the pings after that message are replying to a different IP address than what I originally put to ping for my router IP. The constant ping to 8.8.8.8, there were a few request time out but there were only 6 out of the 1823. Sorry if I did not do the testing correctly.

Last edited:
Ok my concern was some people plug a cable between their pc and a wifi extender and call that a "wired" connection. This still have a wifi hop in it, and really is not much different than a USB cable to wifi nic except you are using a ethernet cable.

You did the test exactly how it should be done. It is hard to find these random issues.

What ping transmit failed generally means is the ethernet port itself went down. It also be that it just lost the ip address but that would not be as common.

Maybe the event log in the computer will give you a clue as to what is failing.

If it stays broken long enough try a ipconfig /all. These are tricky when the port drops and immediately reconnects.

I would suspect a bad cable but you said you did this via wifi also so that makes it more strange. Maybe you get a different error on wifi. Unless your wires run though the walls a new ethernet cable should be a simple thing to try.

So the next step is to try to find out if it is the pc or it is the router. If you have another machine leave a constant ping run to the router IP address and see if both machines get failures at the same time. That would point to the router. Router have very little diagnostic, if it would reboot you would think there would be some message in the logs if it has any.

Solution