[SOLVED] Why do I get Bad Performance with Good PC Specs?

Jun 9, 2020
PC Specs:

- i7 6700k (4Ghz) (4 years old)

- RTX 2070 Super OC 1905MHz (New)

- 16GB RAM (3yrs old)

I play games such as CS:GO,Rust,PUBG,Valorant but all of the games I have a problem with FPS. It is not that I don't get enough its just I should be getting more than I am. I have turned of V-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel and that doesn't fix the problem. I thought it was a CPU bottleneck but apparently according to some people its not. In games like rust, I get a max of 60fps which is playable but i should get more. In Valorant I only get 170fps with low/medium settings on when I now I should be getting way more with my pc specs.

All my drivers are updated on my GPU. I have turned V-Sync off. I just can't find a solution to the problem. I don't know if its the game or not but in all games my GPU usage never goes past 40-45% usage and CPU never goes past 60% usage while in-game.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

Solution
I know I am meant to be using the 1st and 3rd Slots or 2nd and 4th Slots for the RAM installation but it does not work. When I use those 2 configurations, i turn on my PC and it doesnt boot up. The only time it boots up is when I have my RAM in the 3rd and 4th Slot. That is the problem.
Need to find out why that is happening. Running the RAM in slots 3 & 4 will force it to run in single channel mode which significantly impacts gaming performance.

The RAM, was it bought as a single kit of 2x8gb or did you mix 2 individual sticks of 1x8gb? Have you checked for bent cpu pins?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can be a lot of things.

Full system specs, include monitor.

Load everything like you were going to play a game, including the launcher. Run a userbenchmark test and post the results here. Not concerned about the veracity of the test itself but it provides some helpful info.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
What resolution you play in, what speed your RAM is if its single or dual channel , the thermals of your GPU being pushed to that frequency, the thermals of your CPU. Many factors. Lets start with your full specs and maybe some numbers from your monitoring software.

Jun 9, 2020
Monitor: ACER Nitro XF252QX 24.5" 240 Hz Monitor

User-benchmark (with XMP Option disabled): https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29217222
User-benchmark (with XPM Option enabled): https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29218320

Looking at the benchmark linked above, it looks like there is a problem with my RAM. In the BIOS it says it is running in Single Channel and I have enable the XMP option that User-benchmark recommend but the low performance persisted even have changing it to their recommendation. However, there was a 20-30% performance increases after I enabled the XMP option on the RAM

Reactions: punkncat
Jun 9, 2020
I use the 3rd and 4th RAM Slot for the 2 sticks (The 2 slots on the right hand side). I have tried to use the 2 left hand slots and the PC does not boot up at all/windows does not even start to boot.

Jun 9, 2020
And neither of these are the positions in which you're supposed to install two sticks of RAM.

Remember that manual? You need to be reading it.
I know I am meant to be using the 1st and 3rd Slots or 2nd and 4th Slots for the RAM installation but it does not work. When I use those 2 configurations, i turn on my PC and it doesnt boot up. The only time it boots up is when I have my RAM in the 3rd and 4th Slot. That is the problem.

Need to find out why that is happening. Running the RAM in slots 3 & 4 will force it to run in single channel mode which significantly impacts gaming performance.

The RAM, was it bought as a single kit of 2x8gb or did you mix 2 individual sticks of 1x8gb? Have you checked for bent cpu pins?

Solution