[SOLVED] Why do I get constant lag spikes in games?

Solution
In a quick scan you have a few things going on.

You need to lower your background processes. Turn off the number of running programs, use "Background Apps" as well as the "turn on with Windows" type sliders to limit the number of simultaneously running programs.

Having 1x stick of RAM really hurts gaming performance. Even a 2x4GB matched set would perform better. Since this is Intel you could likely take a chance at finding a matched 8GB stick and it will more than likely work fine. Matched set is better.

I would check to be sure you have the best driver for your GPU. I would make sure that other programs aren't utilizing your GPU for other activities. This can be looked for in Task Manager.

Many games today want 16GB of RAM. In...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

You need to lower your background processes. Turn off the number of running programs, use "Background Apps" as well as the "turn on with Windows" type sliders to limit the number of simultaneously running programs.

Having 1x stick of RAM really hurts gaming performance. Even a 2x4GB matched set would perform better. Since this is Intel you could likely take a chance at finding a matched 8GB stick and it will more than likely work fine. Matched set is better.

I would check to be sure you have the best driver for your GPU. I would make sure that other programs aren't utilizing your GPU for other activities. This can be looked for in Task Manager.

Many games today want 16GB of RAM. In cases where you don't have enough overhead of RAM the system goes to page file, which is located on your storage drive. In your case, and as the benchmark reflects, an SSD would help some.

Solution
Aug 27, 2021

Many games today want 16GB of RAM. In cases where you don't have enough overhead of RAM the system goes to page file, which is located on your storage drive. In your case, and as the benchmark reflects, an SSD would help some.

Alright I'll try to lower my background processes. I'll also download the latest Nvidia driver if I haven't already, and also try to get another 8gb ramstick and get an SSD along with it