[SOLVED] Why do I get low frame rates?

Oct 27, 2019
Alright!

So I have recently upgraded my hardware to be able to play newer games.
I recently picked up the new star wars game, the surge 2 and evil within 2.
However I get massive frame drops and low frame rates on all three of these games, no matter how low I go on the settings.
I should have a powerful enough of a computer to handle these games, so I really don't understand the issue.

I have tried V-sync, enhanced sync, anti stuttering etc.

My rig is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz (I even overclocked it to 4.0 which did improve it a bit.)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Flare X

200 GB SSD ( I have tried installing one of the games on it, but it didn't improve the framerate.)

2TB Harddrive.

Asus Prime B350-plus motherboard

Solution
Ok, so let's revisit some things.

You have an intake fan in the front now, yes? Bringing cool air in?

And an exhaust fan in the rear, at the top of the back of the case, taking hot air out, yes?

And you have the PSU turned correctly so that it is drawing in cool air from beneath the case and exhausting out the back, yes?

And have you run HWinfo and monitored your CPU and GPU card thermals to verify that there is not a thermal condition? If you have not, I would recommend that you do so.

Monitoring software

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z, NZXT CAM and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always...

WildCard999

Titan
Is DOCP enabled in the BIOS? If not then your memory may not be running at the correct 3200mhz speed (2133 is usually default) and if so that can cause some pretty big and frequent FPS dips.

If enabling DOCP causes it to crash or not boot correctly then make sure the memory is in the A2/B2 slots instead of A1/B1.

what resolution are you trying to run?
have you optimized your motherboard's BIOS for a gaming scenario?
have you optimized your power options in Windows?
what PSU are you using?

also, are you using the proper display port? you'd be surprised how many people plug their display into the motherboard's I/O port instead of the actual GPU.

Reducing the settings isn't going to increase your FPS because you are almost certainly CPU limited, not GPU limited. If you want to increase your FPS you will need to either figure out why it is underperforming, IF it is underperforming, or upgrade to a higher performance CPU. That 1st Gen Ryzen CPU, honestly, isn't very good. You'd do much better with a 3600 but it would help to know what is actually going on.

You could be seeing the results of thermal throttling, which would dump your FPS, or you could have other problems such as needing to update your BIOS, install a newer AMD chipset driver, do a clean install of your AMD graphics driver or even the need for a full clean install of Windows if you did not recently do one or did not do one when you built this system.

Having faster storage, will NEVER have an effect on frame rates, so doing so is a waste of time. Installing games to fast storage is only helpful in decreasing loading times, saves and caching, where relevant.

Oct 27, 2019
I am using the native resolution of 1920-1080.
I am terrible with BIOS so I haven't touched it except turning on DOCP.
I have given the CPU voltage of 1,48125 via AMD Ryzen Master.
I am unsure what PSU I am using, to find it's name I have to remove half the computer, and I would like to avoid that.

Update your BIOS. Especially on early gen Ryzen, BIOS updates had a tremendous impact on performance ESPECIALLY if your board has an early BIOS version.

You don't have to remove anything except the side panel to find the PSU model, and actually, just knowing what SERIES and brand it is, is usually enough. Removing the side panel is all that is normally required to see the specifications decal or at list the model series on the side of the unit. You are being exaggerative regarding "half the computer". LOL.

Have you done the extensive thermal and stability testing that are compulsory when overclocking? If not, I would suggest that you return it to the default configuration, which will likely happen when you update the BIOS anyhow.

Overclocking isn't, and shouldn't be, just clicking a few buttons or changing a few settings. The results can be negative and end up giving you worse performance than you had before the overclock if you are overheating the motherboard VRMs or the CPU.

Since you don't mention your motherboard or CPU cooler models, I'm going to assume they are probably lower end and not fit for use with an overclocked configuration.

Probably the power supply isn't either. Overall, I have a strong feeling that your performance problems are a direct result of your own making given all these factors AND the probable factor that all your hardware drivers are not up to date based on what is available from the manufacturers websites.

What kind of frame rates are you getting that you consider to be "low frame rates"?

An RX 5700 should have no problem running games like that pretty well with max settings at 1080p, and I would expect a Ryzen 1600 at 4GHz with fast RAM to also handle those games reasonably well.

Did you go through a fresh Windows install when setting up the system?

You might try running this benchmark and sharing a link to your results here to help indicate whether a particular piece of hardware may be underperforming...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Oct 27, 2019
The model name is on the side that is towards the motherboard.
To be able to see it then I will have to screw it off.
And if I am going to move it, then I am going to fix with some cables.
So yeah, it's not just to remove the side panel.

I have updated my bios, and GPU to the latest updates.
I also had this issue before I overclocked, I did notice an increase of fps after the overclocking though.
The heat doesn't go over 60degrees Celsius.

If the model name is on the side facing towards the motherboard, then the PSU is installed incorrectly to begin with. Whether top or bottom mounted, the PSU should be installed with the intake fan grill facing down.

For bottom mounted models, there should be an intake vent on the bottom of the case under the PSU. That is where the cool air is. That is where you want the PSU to intake it's air supply from. Intaking air from inside the case means the PSU is going to be using already heated air to try and cool it's internal components with and that IS going to likely shorten the life of the power supply.

If it is a top mounted power supply, then it is SUPPOSED to be used with the intake vent facing into the case and exhausting out the back, to help with removal of heat, and act as an additional exhaust fan, for the internal case compartment. This is a poor design however and is why manufacturers and enthusiasts have moved to bottom mounted PSU case designs.

In either case, if the label is on the motherboard side of the PSU then it is either a very cheap model or it is installed wrong.

Oct 27, 2019
It jumps from 60 (on lowest) down to 45 at some areas.

I am using a cooler master 700Watt with M nr RS-700-acab-b1.
It seems like it is an Cooler Master B700 ver 2.

Also, the fan part is pointed towards the GPU and the rest of the hardware.
If it was the other way, then it would be crammed into the case,
I thought that was how it was supposed to be?

Last edited:
About the PSU:

Vj59aKR.jpg

The 120mm fan(Cool Air In / blue arrows) should be facing down. But only if you have a vent in the bottom of the case to allow the cool air in.
If there is no intake vent on the bottom of the case, the way you have it will have to suffice. Though I would recommend getting a "gaming" case with more a sufficient cooling design since this is what you will be using it for.

The vents(Hot Air Out / red arrows) should be facing towards the rear, being exposed to the outside of the case with the power cord running out.
Also, the fan part is pointed towards the GPU and the rest of the hardware.
If it was the other way, then it would be crammed into the case...
What do you mean by "crammed into the case". This orientation change wouldn't alter how much space is available.

So, there aren't many reviews of the V series. The one I could find, in Dutch but very in depth, of the V600 v2, showed it to be a VERY mediocre design, better suited to mainstream machines than gaming rigs, but able, when new anyhow, to deliver it's full 600w. It used cheap caps and it had serious voltage droop problems. It would probably be safe to say that Channel Well used the same design for the 700w version. Not what I would want to have with my RX 5700 but not a strictly dumpster fire unit either.

IF you are using that with it facing into the case, which is going to substantially increase it's internal operating temperature, then that is going to likely have an effect on it's ability to sustain it's rated capacity and efficiency as well. Any problems with a power supply that is only marginally capable of supporting a given hardware set, under the best of conditions, are going to translate to issues in performance from the rest of your hardware as well. That's just the way it goes. Garbage in, garbage out.

At the very least I'd want to see that unit flipped over if there is a vent in the bottom of the case for it.

What is the exact model of your case?

If you have the same FPS regardless of settings, then your problem is definitely not the graphics card, unless it is just plain faulty, but that would be inconsistent with what you are seeing.

Check your AMD crimson or in game settings. Seems like this is probably some kind of locked frame rate issue related to a setting. Check your frame rate target control settings.