Feb 20, 2019
I get average frametimes with some major spikes in almost every triple A modern-ish game (GTA V, Assassin's Creed from Unity on, The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider etc.). It's not a constant stuttering, it's just, as I said, that while the frametime isn't even that bad, I get these spikes where the game freezes for a microsecond and is SO annoying. This happens almost regardless of the graphics, unless I set them REALLY low, both resolution and details (and in some games as such Assassin's Creed Origins, absolute lowest settings aren't enough to make it even playable).The framerate, at the contrary, is high, but no matter what, I can also set the graphics to reach an average of 100 FPS, there will always be that micro-stuttering that totally ruins the experience for me.
My configuration is:
Ryzen 5 1400 (Not OC because of mb)
8 Gb RAM Single Channel 2400 Mhz
NVIDIA GTX 1060 3 Gb
Just HDD, no SSD
I've also monitored temperatures and usage through MSI, but nothing ever reach a really high usage. I'm not asking to set the Maximum settings, but I see plenty of videos online playing the games I have with a configuration like this without any problems, so my only conclusion is: could it be the Single Channel RAM? If it is so, is there any way I can solve this without buying another stick?
V-Sync doesn't change anything, on userbenchmark.com my pc performed above expectations (65th percentile) and VRAM is never fully used (I tend to stay around 2/3 of VRAM used)
During the stutter there is always a slight FPS drop but it always happens unless I lock games to like 25 FPS

Last edited:
Solution
Single channel 2400mhz ram is kneecapping Ryzen. TBH you want minimum dual channel 2800mhz or really 3000mhz ram with a Ryzen CPU.

Also a HDD in some games may slow your gaming down as textures sometimes need to load, and with low memory on your GPU and that memory handicap, these things combine can cause the microstutters you are seeing.

I think swapping the ram and running your games on low texture detail should give you noticeably better performance.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Single channel 2400mhz ram is kneecapping Ryzen. TBH you want minimum dual channel 2800mhz or really 3000mhz ram with a Ryzen CPU.

Also a HDD in some games may slow your gaming down as textures sometimes need to load, and with low memory on your GPU and that memory handicap, these things combine can cause the microstutters you are seeing.

I think swapping the ram and running your games on low texture detail should give you noticeably better performance.

Solution