[SOLVED] Why do I have 3 of 4 pin power on my motherboard ? (See photo)

Seven Yame

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
So, I've removed my motherboard because it got burned ( my fault) and now I'll need to install a new one (same model of motherboard) and Idk why I have the 4 pin power cable (usually for cpu) but three of them.I didn't take any photo with cables on it, and it's my first time installing a new motherboard so I was exercising on the broken one. Photo link:
View: https://imgur.com/a/WnAlqHY

Solution
There's usually a pigtail coming directly off the 14pin connection that'll have the necessary 4pin. The standalone 4pin will be the solitary cpu. If there isn't, and both 4pin are seperate then it shouldn't make a difference, all 3 of those 4pins have the exact same physical header. Normally if there's extra headers that means the motherboard is multi-purpose, 1 4pin for lower power cpu/psu and 2 4pin for the higher power cpu/psu models, same mobo. That'd make 1 of those 4pins redundant in most situations, but it's cheaper for Lenovo to add a 4 pin than to have 2 different motherboards made.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm sorry, can you be a little more specific? I don't know what "I have the 4 pin power cable but three of them" or "exercising on the broken one" mean and in addition to no photos, you've provided no information as to your PSU, new motherboard, old motherboard, or, well, anything.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pre-built proprietary power design (looks like a Dell, might be Lenovo) . The 2x 4pin and the 14pin are main power, those will contain the 3.3v, 5v, 5v vsb, 12v, -12v and on/off/sense connections. The single 4pin above the socket is supplementary 12v directly for cpu use.

The psu will have the correct power output connections, it's not ATX standards. If replacing the psu with aftermarket ATX standard psu, you'd need some adapters to fit that exact mobo.

Seven Yame

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
So, I've removed my motherboard because it got burned ( my fault) and now I'll need to install a new one (same model of motherboard) and Idk why I have the 4 pin power cable (usually for cpu) but three of them.I didn't take any photo with cables on it, and it's my first time installing a new motherboard so I was exercising on the broken one. Photo link:
View: https://imgur.com/a/WnAlqHY
In order to clear up the misunderstandings, I removed all the cables from mobo and my psu only has 2 of 4 pin cable, and I know one of them is for cpu, but does it matter where I put the remaining cable, since I have two remaining slots on the mobo, as in the photo

Seven Yame

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
exact model of this prebuild? or the model of the motherboard? psu?
Psu has 2 cables with 4 pin (I searched the psu but couldn't find it but I know it is a "serioux" model) and motherboard is a lenovo rev 2.0 I think. The prebuilt is a romanian one, so bad it was really hard to fjnd the components' model names

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's usually a pigtail coming directly off the 14pin connection that'll have the necessary 4pin. The standalone 4pin will be the solitary cpu. If there isn't, and both 4pin are seperate then it shouldn't make a difference, all 3 of those 4pins have the exact same physical header. Normally if there's extra headers that means the motherboard is multi-purpose, 1 4pin for lower power cpu/psu and 2 4pin for the higher power cpu/psu models, same mobo. That'd make 1 of those 4pins redundant in most situations, but it's cheaper for Lenovo to add a 4 pin than to have 2 different motherboards made.

Solution

Seven Yame

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
The psu has 2 of 4 pin cables coming from the same wires and because of this one of them can't reach the additional slot

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
^1 I agree. The stock motherboard will match upto the stock psu, of whatever configuration is needed. If you replace the mobo, it has to be the same one, even same version, because they aren't atx aftermarket standard, so no mix and match.

Lenovo, like Dell and HP and others, will use the same motherboard/psu for several different current models, but the next year series might have a different cpu, so different motherboard or maybe different psu for certain, but use the same model numbers. Which I find seriously annoying.

When looking up parts to replace you kinda must verify everything, look up the model, year, cpu, drives, everything.

Seven Yame

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
^1 I agree. The stock motherboard will match upto the stock psu, of whatever configuration is needed. If you replace the mobo, it has to be the same one, even same version, because they aren't atx aftermarket standard, so no mix and match.

Lenovo, like Dell and HP and others, will use the same motherboard/psu for several different current models, but the next year series might have a different cpu, so different motherboard or maybe different psu for certain, but use the same model numbers. Which I find seriously annoying.

When looking up parts to replace you kinda must verify everything, look up the model, year, cpu, drives, everything.
I think it isn't this case since the psu is a normal one.I've watched a build guide and said you need 8 pin for the alimentation of the cpu so I guess I figured it out.Correct me me if it's wrong.I'll update tomorrow with a comment because the new mobo will arrive