[SOLVED] Why do I have a checkerboard display?

ahnafspyro

Prominent
Jul 4, 2018
image0.jpg

So I used to have a OEM AMD rx 550 and I needed an upgrade because the gpu was weak so then I purchased a used Msi Gaming X Rx 570 4gb. I bought it about a month ago and it works great there is no thermal issues or stutters the only problem I have is that maybe once every 1-2 weeks my computer starts up and theirs a weird checker board pattern that pops up on my display and I cant move my mouse or do anything, to fix it I restart my pc with the reset button on my case then it fixes. This never happened to me with my old card. I thought maybe the gpu was over clocked but it was not then I did a stress test thinking maybe it was something to do with my pc but my computer ran through the test perfectly. Can someone tell me what is it that
is happening and how can I fix it?

Solution
The card may be defective, artifacts like that are frequently a VRAM issue (which is not repairable by the user). I don't think it's directly a power supply issue, though the power supply really should have been upgraded along with the GPU. Your best option, I think, will be to contact MSI and provide your serial number. MSI tends to be one of the better companies at allowing warranties to second-hand buyers (EVGA tends to be the best at this).

I would also take the precaution of getting a better power supply under any circumstance. 360W on the +12V rail is very skimpy when the GPU alone can spike to 200W, especially when it's not a particularly good quality power supply. I would not have counseled using this power supply with...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Kinda small +12V rail (30A) for running a RX 570 + Ryzen 7 1700, and a rather low end model PSU besides. Might be the problem. But there's always the other possibility that the card is defective. (used/new?) Any way to try the card with another machine (better PSU)?

ahnafspyro

Prominent
Jul 4, 2018
Kinda small +12V rail (30A) for running a RX 570 + Ryzen 7 1700, and a rather low end model PSU besides. Might be the problem. But there's always the other possibility that the card is defective. (used/new?) Any way to try the card with another machine (better PSU)?
I bought this card used on eBay not even a month ago and I sold my old card so I can’t even test this without a gpu or anything, maybe the card is defective ?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The card may be defective, artifacts like that are frequently a VRAM issue (which is not repairable by the user). I don't think it's directly a power supply issue, though the power supply really should have been upgraded along with the GPU. Your best option, I think, will be to contact MSI and provide your serial number. MSI tends to be one of the better companies at allowing warranties to second-hand buyers (EVGA tends to be the best at this).

I would also take the precaution of getting a better power supply under any circumstance. 360W on the +12V rail is very skimpy when the GPU alone can spike to 200W, especially when it's not a particularly good quality power supply. I would not have counseled using this power supply with this GPU.

Reactions: ahnafspyro
Solution

ahnafspyro

Prominent
Jul 4, 2018

I would also take the precaution of getting a better power supply under any circumstance. 360W on the +12V rail is very skimpy when the GPU alone can spike to 200W, especially when it's not a particularly good quality power supply. I would not have counseled using this power supply with this GPU.
Okay and i can upgrade my psu but If I contact MSI about the card what will they do, I registered my card on there warranty and I think I have warranty on it now should I call them?