why do i have a slower internet speed then i am supposed to?

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
so when we purchased our internet they said that the internet speed will be 24 megaBITS per second. but we actually receive half of it. and I know the difference between download speed and mbps. my download speed should be 3 mb/s but it actually only riches 1.4

Solution

"24/1" = 24megabits down, 1megabit up.
What type of connection is this? Cable, DSL, fiber(unlikely), something else?

I'd suspect DSL. In which case the "area" may make a significant difference.

USAFRet

Titan

Is your PC or laptop wired directly the router?

Sadly, most ISP will say 'speeds up to xx mb', which can mean anything/nothing. They will rarely guarantee rated speeds. In addition most ISP will have you in a batch with other users. It's called contention ratio. So you could be splitting your connection with maybe up to 8 other users. Typically the contention ratio is 8:1. That can have an impact.

Then, 100%, USAFRet is asking the right initial question. Wireless/Wired have big differences. An example being my own connection. I've got 100mb up/20mb down. However, even at the best of times I only get 70mb down speeds - that's wired. I am on a 1:1 ratio though so that helps me. But wireless the speeds fluctuate like mad. Specially when distance is involved. The closer you are to the router (wireless) the better the signal and speeds. The further away the worse it gets. Your router may be new enough to have standard wireless and the 5G band too .ie Dual Band router. In smaller spaces the 5G connection can give great high speed and sustained connection. But the downside is it's shorter range. The standard 2g will give greater range, but less speeds. So that's something to consider.

With all of that said, make sure your PC/Laptop has the most up to date drivers for the system, specially wireless adaptors and the motherboard drivers for the ethernet controller.

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017

nope. it is wireless. but i will get the same speed even when connected. and i have already tried it with another pc.

USAFRet

Titan

Wired directly to the router, and you get that same substandard speed?

If so...talk to your ISP. That is the place to start the diagnosis.

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017

i see. but as i just said to USAFRet i get the exact same speed even when i have a wired connection. but i noticed that in the site it says 24/1 mbps. what is that supposed to mean?
and also i just got informed that the technitian that came here(i didnt know anything since i was away on vacation) said that it might even be the areas fault. i dont even know what he meant by that.

USAFRet

Titan

"24/1" = 24megabits down, 1megabit up.
What type of connection is this? Cable, DSL, fiber(unlikely), something else?

I'd suspect DSL. In which case the "area" may make a significant difference.

Solution

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017

To be honest i dont actually know what it is. they said nothing about it. neither do they say in their website. so yeah as you said i guess it is DSL. So then it might just be my luck. :fou:

Well, then, if it's as you say, then following USAFRet's advice is the right line. Contact the ISP, if there is a fault in the area exchange, it ain't gonna fix itself. They need to get on that! Keep calling until you get a fix. If it's a line fault normally the tech will call back out and run diagnostics and then clear the line, and hopefully get you better speeds.They should be able to tell from the call centre if there's a fault, so when you call them ask to be put through to the fault's team (or whatever equivalent your ISP has). They run a test and can tell within a minute or two if there's a fault.

If they detect the fault, they will despatch a tech, and he will test the line at the exchange, and possibly where the line comes into your property.