[SOLVED] Why do I have bad air flow?

Oct 7, 2020
Hello everyone. Using cinebench my CPU hits 90 degrees underload and when I remove the side panel on my PC my temps dropped a whopping 20 degrees. What is wrong with my system? Not sure if I need better fans or a new case. It could be the big ass CPU cooler that's restricting air flow. What should I do? Don't know if it helps but I posted a picture of my set up. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
i9 9900kf on a poor airflow panel :) that chip needs proper cooling... also r u using static pressure fans on the coolers?? I wud ask u to use another fan on the cooler... also get a static pressure fan for the front intake and put it on the top slot and the remaining two get a good airflow fan... also u can remove the psu shroud on the bottom of the case... also it seems u have just a single exhaust... try and see if u can put two exhausts on top of the cabinet... also by the looks of the cooler , it seems the vrm's are not getting proper airflow, so for the time being change the fan positioning on the cooler and put one fan at the intake of the cooler and one in between... it will surely increase the airflow rather than in the middle...
Oct 7, 2020
Do you remove the side panel when it's running?
Is it REALLY hot in there when you do?
A 70 degree drop is extreme.
I've never seen anything close.
I'm thinking it would have to be really hot in your case to see a 70 degree drop.
Yes I removed the side panel while it's running and when I stick my hand in there it is pretty hot. Should I buy better fans?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Using cinebench my CPU hits 90 degrees underload and when I remove the side panel on my PC my temps dropped a whopping 20 degrees. What is wrong with my system? Not sure if I need better fans or a new case. It could be the big ass CPU cooler that's restricting air flow. What should I do? Don't know if it helps but I posted a picture of my set up. Thank you!

Your parts are hot because you put them in an oven. Just because case makers put out cases with front windows does not make it a good idea. Also, is your CPU cooler mounted in reverse? Are the CPU cooler fans blowing in the same direction as the case fans? If the case fans are blowing to the rear and the CPU fans are blowing to the front that would be a big problem.

Oct 7, 2020
What Exact case is it ?
From what I an see that glass front is the problem.
Just like Zerk2012 said.

It won't matter how many fans you have if the case won't let them pull in enough air to actually cool your system.
So I removed the front glass panel and I can actually feel the air now, that may be why it's overheating. I am gonna run some tests with the side panel on and front panel off to see if there's any improvement in temps

It's a <Mod Edit> prebuilt from cyberpower and the case that came with it is very bad. Remind me to never buy prebuilts again

If you guys are wondering I am running a 5700xt and 9900k

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 7, 2020
Your parts are hot because you put them in an oven. Just because case makers put out cases with front windows does not make it a good idea. Also, is your CPU cooler mounted in reverse? Are the CPU cooler fans blowing in the same direction as the case fans? If the case fans are blowing to the rear and the CPU fans are blowing to the front that would be a big problem.
Yes they are all blowing at the same direction

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I removed the front glass panel and I can actually feel the air now, that may be why it's overheating. I am gonna run some tests with the side panel on and front panel off to see if there's any improvement in temps

It's a <Mod Edit> prebuilt from cyberpower and the case that came with it is very bad. Remind me to never buy prebuilts again

If you guys are wondering I am running a 5700xt and 9900k
That should fix you up removing the front glass.

EDIT are you sure the CPU cooler fans are blowing toward the back of the case?

Oct 7, 2020
So I ran cinebench for 20 minutes and the temps are so much better now! I don't know what cyberpower was thinking with the front glass panel but you get what you pay for. The only downside is it looks little ugly now with all the wires exposed but I don't really care about that. Thank you so much for your help guys

That should fix you up removing the front glass.

EDIT are you sure the CPU cooler fans are blowing toward the back of the case?
Yes I am sure. I originally had it mounted vertically but I turned it because I thought it was causing my system to overheat since the fan was blowing downwards. Now the heatsink is touching the gpu and I'm not sure if it's something I should be worried about

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I ran cinebench for 20 minutes and the temps are so much better now! I don't know what cyberpower was thinking with the front glass panel but you get what you pay for. The only downside is it looks little ugly now with all the wires exposed but I don't really care about that. Thank you so much for your help guys

Yes I am sure. I originally had it mounted vertically but I turned it because I thought it was causing my system to overheat since the fan was blowing downwards. Now the heatsink is touching the gpu and I'm not sure if it's something I should be worried about
They should be a arrow on the fan showing the air direction.

i9 9900kf on a poor airflow panel :) that chip needs proper cooling... also r u using static pressure fans on the coolers?? I wud ask u to use another fan on the cooler... also get a static pressure fan for the front intake and put it on the top slot and the remaining two get a good airflow fan... also u can remove the psu shroud on the bottom of the case... also it seems u have just a single exhaust... try and see if u can put two exhausts on top of the cabinet... also by the looks of the cooler , it seems the vrm's are not getting proper airflow, so for the time being change the fan positioning on the cooler and put one fan at the intake of the cooler and one in between... it will surely increase the airflow rather than in the middle as cooler intake... (i.e, push-pull-push configuration rather than pull-push-pull confi)

Reactions: grecodicaprio
Solution