[SOLVED] Why do i have big FPS drops?

Sep 24, 2021
Recently i upgraded my pc with a better gpu being GTX 1060 3gb, and i get really high FPS in games but they drop from like 120 to 40-50 for a few seconds and then go back.

My specs:
Intel i5 4440 3.2 ghz
GTX 1060 3GB
Gigabyte ah81
8gb DDR3 ram

My pc is also very slow, boot time is like forever, i also know that everything is fine with the GPU as i tested it in my friends PC, and no fps drops happened there. My question is what can be the cause of these fps drops that happen on almost all of my games that are a little bit more demanding than Counter Strike, could it be the old hdd? or maybe my RAM?. Im thinking about buying the ssd and reinstalling windows on it and see if it helps with stutters. I am playing on 1920x1080 resolution which is same as my monitor.

Any help is appreciated, best regards.

Solution
1-3min boot time with a HDD is normal depending on how fast your HDD is and how much bloat you have on there, though you can skip that by putting your PC on standby instead of turning it off. An SSD would reduce boot time to 10-30 seconds, though with only 8GB of RAM, you may end up wearing it out prematurely due to Windows swapping stuff out to free memory for the file system cache while running games or doing anything else that needs the RAM.

As others have already pointed out, that PSU sounds super-dodgy and I'd opt to upgrade that to something of known quality before throwing any money at anything else. Then I'd also go for memory second and SSD third.

Nothing ruins performance faster than running out of RAM and that is probably...
The long booting times are an easy fix by installing a SSD instead.

The fps drops can be from two things.
Low RAM as almost every game needs more than 8GB o in well, especially if it's a single stick it hampers the performance more.
The other thing is the weak CPU.

Make and model of PSU?

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.

Sep 24, 2021
The long booting times are an easy fix by installing a SSD instead.

The fps drops can be from two things.
Low RAM as almost every game needs more than 8GB o in well, especially if it's a single stick it hampers the performance more.
The other thing is the weak CPU.

Make and model of PSU?

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
My psu is Blueberry 560W, i will post the link once i do the benchmarking.

My psu is Blueberry 560W, i will post the link once i do the benchmarking.
That thing should not be used as a PSU. It's 192w in reality because that's what it can provide (?????) in the 12v rail. It also lacks 80 plus certificate. Those two things are very serious issues and you should NOT continue using it as it can start a house fire.

So, you need a better PSU and more RAM. With that order.

InvalidError

Titan
1-3min boot time with a HDD is normal depending on how fast your HDD is and how much bloat you have on there, though you can skip that by putting your PC on standby instead of turning it off. An SSD would reduce boot time to 10-30 seconds, though with only 8GB of RAM, you may end up wearing it out prematurely due to Windows swapping stuff out to free memory for the file system cache while running games or doing anything else that needs the RAM.

As others have already pointed out, that PSU sounds super-dodgy and I'd opt to upgrade that to something of known quality before throwing any money at anything else. Then I'd also go for memory second and SSD third.

Nothing ruins performance faster than running out of RAM and that is probably where your large dips come from. I've never had that issue with my i5-3470, largely thanks to having 32GB.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh god, that Blueberry PSU that pops up from time to time. While the PSU doesn't normally cause this problem, this is at the very bottom of the junk tier and the possibility exists that it's damaged the GPU. I'd get something that's not dangerous and test the GPU in someone else's machine.

TRENDING THREADS