[SOLVED] Why do I keep getting BSOD?

Ryallen

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Over the past week I've been experiencing frequent BSOD crashes. It's a different reason every time and even the time it takes to crash is random. Yesterday it took 2 hours and today it took 30 minutes. I changed my CPU and motherboard 2 weeks ago so maybe that plays a part but I have no idea. I've tried checking the crash reports but for some reason it won't let me read them, saying that I don't have administrator rights. (Which I do, I checked.) According to the reliability monitor, the motherboard fan in my computer keeps failing as well, so maybe that has something to do with it? I have no way of verifying this information, right now my computer is very incorrect on several things and I'm losing my patience. These are my specs;

System Model Z590 AORUS PRO AX
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB (DDR4)

Solution
Set PC up to collect minidumps like I said in 1st reply

According to the reliability monitor, the motherboard fan in my computer keeps failing as well, so maybe that has something to do with it?

can you confirm its actually spinning?

have you got latest BIOS on motherboard?

Sorry clean install didn't fix it but without knowing what BSOD you were getting, and it beinga swapped install, it seemed most logical place to start.

Could try running this on CPU - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

Machine Check Exception can be either hardware or software. Its more likely hardware.
Page fault in non paged area could be a driver error (non paged error of ram is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
did you clean install windows after swapping MB/CPU as that could be the reason if you didn't, and could help if you did now.

if you need an installer
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Ryallen

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
did you clean install windows after swapping MB/CPU as that could be the reason if you didn't, and could help if you did now.

if you need an installer
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I can't compress the files because I don't have the right permissions, as my computer does not recognize me as an administrator. I'm supposed to be an administrator, the control panel says that I am an administrator, but my computer refuses to let me access the files anyways. As for the Windows issue, I had to re-enter my Windows product key when I booted up the PC after upgrading it, but Windows accepted the product key.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem isn't likely the license, its fact a lot of the drivers on PC are for the old install.

Its often a good idea if you get a new CPU & Motherboard to clean install windows as you can get 3 results from swapping windows like the way you did
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but there are problems
  3. it doesn't work at all

you are at stage 2.

I wouldn't worry about dump files unless you still get BSOD after a clean install

Ryallen

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
The problem isn't likely the license, its fact a lot of the drivers on PC are for the old install.

Its often a good idea if you get a new CPU & Motherboard to clean install windows as you can get 3 results from swapping windows like the way you did
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but there are problems
  3. it doesn't work at all
you are at stage 2.

I wouldn't worry about dump files unless you still get BSOD after a clean install

Would this basically wipe all my hard drives of their data? Like I'd have to reinstall all my applications? Because I think the media I'm using is saying it would do that, but I want to be sure so I can backup my stuff

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depends how many drives you have. It only does C drive so if you have multiple hard drives/ssd then copy anything onto the other drives that you want to save, and only have the drive with windows attached when you install. That way it only has 1 drive to choose from.

you will need to reinstall all applications. Games libraries like steam can be moved onto another drive, and re used on next install. I think other games launchers are simialr.

Ryallen

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Depends how many drives you have. It only does C drive so if you have multiple hard drives/ssd then copy anything onto the other drives that you want to save, and only have the drive with windows attached when you install. That way it only has 1 drive to choose from.

you will need to reinstall all applications. Games libraries like steam can be moved onto another drive, and re used on next install. I think other games launchers are simialr.

I did that and used my PC for a while and it just BSOD again. The error code this time was page fault in nonpage area

EDIT: And not even a few minutes later I get another BSOD that reads machine check exception

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

According to the reliability monitor, the motherboard fan in my computer keeps failing as well, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Sorry clean install didn't fix it but without knowing what BSOD you were getting, and it beinga swapped install, it seemed most logical place to start.

Could try running this on CPU - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

Machine Check Exception can be either hardware or software. Its more likely hardware.
Page fault in non paged area could be a driver error (non paged error of ram is where drivers run. Non paged means it can't be run from storage)

Solution

Ryallen

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016

Page fault in non paged area could be a driver error (non paged error of ram is where drivers run. Non paged means it can't be run from storage)

I can confirm the fan was actually spinning during the crashes. As far as I know I have the latest BIOS update. I ran the CPU tool and it passed the test it ran. Here is the link to the dropbox. It only has the previous two crash reports, the others got deleted by mistake while I was reinstalling Windows. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbvlsxwkigfuyu1/091821-7843-01.zip?dl=0

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/o6gf85a1/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091821-7843-01.dmp (Sep 18 2021 - 23:22:33)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:091821-7171-01.dmp (Sep 18 2021 - 23:29:57)
Bugcheck:MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9C)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10
If you have Revision 1 of the motherboard, there is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using BIOS version F4. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i knew from looking at victim of the Page Fault what cause was
dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER
almost everytime i see DirectX its GPU drivers
try updating the nvidia drivers, yours are from 2020

I sneaking suspicion its not only problem if the bsod survived the clean install.