[SOLVED] Why do I keep getting static shocks when I touch my keyboard?

Jan 17, 2021
4
0
10
0
I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3700X, and I bought new memory (G.Skill 3600 2x8GB) to go along with it. Everything works fine, as best I can tell. However, I now often touch my keyboard for the first time after leaving it for several minutes (or hours) and get a light electrostatic shock. Nothing major, just the normal kind of shock you get from static electricity in your house or car. I'm wondering what has changed? It has done this in both humid and dry weather conditions, so I don't think that is a factor. We haven't installed new carpet or anything like that, and I'm still using the same desk, chair, and mat that I was before. It never did this prior to the upgraded, as far as I can remember. I'm not overly concerned, but I am VERY curious about why it's happening.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Static electricity is caused by a difference in charges. Normally the pc is grounded through the plug, so has no charge, and when you sit, you equalize the charge to the chair, desk, etc. So touching what the pc or keyboard touches means everything is already equal and no shock.

If the pc or keyboard is isolated and not grounded, it'll have a seperate sized charge built up so is different to the charge you build up, and you get shocked on contact.

You changed something. Pc not grounding through the plug, the outlet has lost contact with a lousy ground, prong in the plug itself has broken internally, something.
 
Reactions: Krotow

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Static electricity is caused by a difference in charges. Normally the pc is grounded through the plug, so has no charge, and when you sit, you equalize the charge to the chair, desk, etc. So touching what the pc or keyboard touches means everything is already equal and no shock.

If the pc or keyboard is isolated and not grounded, it'll have a seperate sized charge built up so is different to the charge you build up, and you get shocked on contact.

You changed something. Pc not grounding through the plug, the outlet has lost contact with a lousy ground, prong in the plug itself has broken internally, something.
 
Reactions: Krotow

ASK THE COMMUNITY