[SOLVED] Why do I keep seeing random phones in Network Discovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello... So i've noticed that random phones keep appearing in Windows's Network Discovery and It's always a different model I am seeing, and all are models owned by no-one in the house. One would conclude that my network's Wireless AP has been compromised but, how? I got an up-to-date router, properly configured with a good WPA2-PSK key. The only thing I had that could be a possible vulnerability was WPS, but I doubt my home city is beaming with tech savvy people that come by daily with their phones to hack my WAP. I do live next to a very crowded hotel though.

Before panicking, I figured i'd post here before anything else. Here is one of the devices that popped by today. Usually, any device that pops up will dissappear a little while after, never to be seen again and then, a new one will popup.
dUbiV67.png

As you can see, the only thing revealed is its MAC address, which is the same thing on any network it connects anyway. So, that kinda makes me think that peeps from the hotel connect to my AP but don't input the correct password and so in reality are not really connected, which is why they did not get an IP from my router's DCHP server. Unless they did get an IP but Windows cannot pinpoint. Anyone can confirm this theory of mine? Or am I screwed?

Solution
No IP means that they are not in any way connected to your network. The phones and such you are seeing may simply be trying to connect to the first access point they see. When they can't connect they move on. This is not a problem.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
True. But can I confirm that they have not been an assigned an IP? Can I trust Network Discovery reporting no IP for that to actually be the case? I'm asking this cause I've always found Windows to be rather quirky when it comes to Networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS