Why do i need to buy a gaming motherboard instead of using a cheaper one

Ivan_59

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello guys i was wondering if someone can help with me motherboard decision.

I bought a i5-6600k procesor, to start with i bought a Asrock b150m pro4s/d3 motherboard with ddr3 support. Then one guy told me that i i5-6th generation works better with ddr4 modules, so im in a dilemma. Should i stick with Asrock b150m pro4s/d3 or should i buy a GA-Z170-Gaming K3? What is the difference, i'm not going to overclock anytime soon, i dont need it.. Help guys, thanks

Solution
You can stick with it if you want, but I would personally pursue the replacement.

If you aren't overclocking there isn't much need to actually do so, though.
if your not overclocking why did you purchase a K processor ? you could of saved by getting a I5-6500 with a better board and better ram

The difference is minimal between DDR3 and DDR4 to be honest, on a Z270 board overclocking it WILL make a difference yes
if your going to get a GA-Z170-Gaming you better off to get a GA-Z270-A then you would be set to properly overclock

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well you bought a high end i5 that is capable of overclocking. Overclocking is facilitated on Z class boards.

'Gaming' is a broad term, and there are certainly non-Z class boards marketed as gaming motherboards. Comes down to features like SLI/Crossfire, premium audio/networking, and even software inclusions.

You would be better off returning the motherboard and memory, possibly the CPU. If you don't intend to overclock you can pick up the i5-6600 some DDR4-2133. You can stick with B150, but it will have to be the DDR4 version of the board. Or you can get the very bargain H110 series. Or the H170 series boards, they typically have everything that Z170 boards have excepting SLI and overclocking.

Also Z270, B250, H270 boards to consider, and Kabylake CPUs i5-7600, i5-7500 etc.

Hoonini

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
I would definitely recommend a motherboard with DDR4 just for the fact that it's not necessarily any more expensive. If you aren't ever going to overclock go with a cheaper h or b motherboard. There's also cheap $85 z170-e motherboard on sale right now just for the fact that it can overclock.

Ivan_59

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for a fast answer, i was thinking for example game-vise would it improve my gaming performance if i would to take ddr4 and GA-Z170-Gaming K3 instead of b150m pro4s/d3 and ddr3 on 1600mhz?

Ivan_59

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for a fast answer, i bought it beacuse it was cheaper then the other processor, it was some friendly price. Please tell me is it worth to buy GA-Z170 and new ddr4 for gaming, or i can stick with Asrock b150m pro3d and ddr3