[SOLVED] why do i need to download an app to access windows 11 security

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I wanted to run a virus scan with Win11 security, but run into this error message for anything I try do regarding Win Security. I have win 11 installed as an upgrade from W 10. I also have Malwarebytes (premium) running. MB always played well with Windows Security in W10. Come to think of it, I've never seen W11 run a scan. I used to be able to run an occasional WS scan when I was using W10. Is MB disabling WS?

Basically, I want to have access to WS again like I did in W10. Help please.

Solution
Open windows powershell as administrator and put this in
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
You may ask is it safe? Yes, yes it is safe. It's a command to force re-download the Security and health UI for all users on your PC and then reset all the settings to there defaults

USAFRet

Titan
I wanted to run a virus scan with Win11 security, but run into this error message for anything I try do regarding Win Security. I have win 11 installed as an upgrade from W 10. I also have Malwarebytes (premium) running. MB always played well with Windows Security in W10. Come to think of it, I've never seen W11 run a scan. I used to be able to run an occasional WS scan when I was using W10. Is MB disabling off WS?
What is the specific error message?
A screencap would help.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Do you have any other AV or security suite running?
Yes. As mentioned above, I am running Malwarebytes (premium) as I always have back with W10. But in W10, I was always able to still open/acess MS.
I've been doing a bit more reading. It seems this is a common problem and the above fix is the one always offered.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. As mentioned above, I am running Malwarebytes (premium) as I always have back with W10. But in W10, I was always able to still open/acess MS.
I've been doing a bit more reading. It seems this is a common problem and the above fix is the one always offered.
Short term, turn off MalwareBytes.
See what happens...there may be a conflict.

I also use MWB, but not Premium or as an always On thing.

Miltoid19

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
You may ask is it safe? Yes, yes it is safe. It's a command to force re-download the Security and health UI for all users on your PC and then reset all the settings to there defaults

Solution

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Thank you. I will try it tomorrow.

Thank you. I will try it tomorrow.
windows defender used to not run if you had a paid virus scanner installed. They did this so they would not be sued for anti trust by the virus scan vendors. (that is also why certain virus scan vendors left parts of the scanner installed when their product was uninstalled. Just so the windows defender would not run) you can download and run autoruns from here:Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
then disable the part of the virus scanner, reboot and windows scanner should run. Then you can re- enable the other scanner with autoruns if you want.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It appears this has been an issue with the latest W11. Is this a safe fix?
video you looking at is from August last year, it is probably fixed now so that shouldn't be happening to you, for the reasons given anyway.

it offers same answer as
did.

So that is the fix. Still odd a bug from last year happened again.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Thank you all for your help. The Powershell command did indeed solve the issue.
@ Colif ... yes, it is odd. I noticed too that all the articles fixing this issue were from last August.
@johnbl ... yes, W10 would indeed have MS disabled when MB was installed. But I still was able to access MS and make changes. And I could set MS to run periodic scans even tho I had the Premium MB. They appeared to play nice together in W10. So, who knows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose windows terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as Powershell, select the arrow in title row and select Powershell
bx7zEuw.jpg

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type them, the spacing needs to match or you will get errors)

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

just check windows is okay :)

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
right click start
choose windows terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as Powershell, select the arrow in title row and select Powershell
bx7zEuw.jpg

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type them, the spacing needs to match or you will get errors)

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

just check windows is okay :)
Windows Terminal isn't opening for me. I get this error message instead.
https://ibb.co/KKL26ck
But I can run Powershell and Command, and they work just fine. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
OK, Ran the Repair and SFC scan. Here are the results:
https://ibb.co/ZNFzHwq
Trying to run WT results in the same error message. W11 reports that it can't find wt.exe

My Version of W11 is version 21H2 ( Build 22000.593)
Actually, everything is running quite nicely right now. I have MB active along with MS. Ran a full virus scan, and an offline scan, and ran a MB scan with no issues found and no problems.

UPDATE
Actually, the scans I mentioned above were run a few days ago. Just for 'fun' I ran another full scan (Defender). This time it returned that it found an active Trojan, and took action (whatever that was). Now it reports no issues.

Last edited: