Why do my clock speeds spike so high?

Dreezie

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I asked this question in the overclocking forum but didn't get much of a response, hoping i can get some answers here, thanks for reading.

So I have my fx6300 OC'd to 4.4ghz with a 212 evo, it is very stable and rarely gets above 60c under load, so no problems there. My question though is, if I only have it OC'd to 4.4ghz why will it spike as high as 5ghz sometimes? and is that normal?

I use CPUID HWMonitor to keep an eye on things, and noticed just recently that after long sessions I would check the max clock speed for that time frame and usually see it at 4.8ghz+.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Edit: No, I do not still have turbo enabled.

Solution
1. I'd try at least another program to monitor the CPU clock speed. If two diffeent programs measure the same speed increase the measurement could be considered more reliable.

2. Did you touch the BIOS CPU voltage? if you didn't,try lowering it anyway... and if you did, all the more reason to lower the voltage.

3. You may be able to better control the clock spikes through the Windows Power Options > Processor Power Management.
1. I'd try at least another program to monitor the CPU clock speed. If two diffeent programs measure the same speed increase the measurement could be considered more reliable.

2. Did you touch the BIOS CPU voltage? if you didn't,try lowering it anyway... and if you did, all the more reason to lower the voltage.

3. You may be able to better control the clock spikes through the Windows Power Options > Processor Power Management.

Solution