Question why do my dlink routers need restarting every few hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2020
hello all
I am new to the forums.
I just bought a dlink 2730U modem+router in India and it stops working after every 5-6 hours. and needs restarting.
I had dlink 2750U before this and it also behaved in this manner but it needed restarting every 24 hours.
Is it a common issue with dlink hardware or is it just my bad luck?

I updated the firmware but it shows the old firmware's date even after updating many times. maybe it doesnt update? I see the message that the modem is updating and will restart after 60 sec or so. It restarts but the firmware date is the same. and the issue isnt fixed.
Please help me fix this issue because i cant throw it away. this is what i have to work with.
Have a nice day.

kanewolf

Titan
hello all
I am new to the forums.
I just bought a dlink 2730U modem+router in India and it stops working after every 5-6 hours. and needs restarting.
I had dlink 2750U before this and it also behaved in this manner but it needed restarting every 24 hours.
Is it a common issue with dlink hardware or is it just my bad luck?

I updated the firmware but it shows the old firmware's date even after updating many times. maybe it doesnt update? I see the message that the modem is updating and will restart after 60 sec or so. It restarts but the firmware date is the same. and the issue isnt fixed.
Please help me fix this issue because i cant throw it away. this is what i have to work with.
Have a nice day.
Could it be overheating? Have you tried pointing a desk fan at it to cool it?

Jun 27, 2020
Could it be overheating? Have you tried pointing a desk fan at it to cool it?
Thanks for replying.
It is just warm to touch. I turned it upside down but it still halts every 6 hours or so. i dont think its a heating issue because if its overheating then it shouldnt start working again upon restarting. its still at the same temperature as before.

Jun 27, 2020
Have you tried connecting to the router' admin page when you think it's time to restart?

It may be that WAN link drops, and needs restarting.
I cant connect to the web interface when the modem halts. It becomes a brick. All Leds go dim and there is no communication in or out.
I think there maybe some memory stack that gets full and cant accept new data. but i dont know how to clear it without restarting.

Jun 27, 2020
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I think i have may have found out the reason why the router stops working after every 6 hours or so.
The reason appears to be the requests i send the to router through a monitoring script. it gets upspeed, downspeed, snr data etc from the router every 10 seconds.
I stopped the script and the router is working fine for 12 hours straight without any hiccup.

My reasoning:--- the script fills up some stack in the router. it takes 6 hours for it to become full. after that, the router doesnt know what to do so it just hangs. restarting it clears the stack and it starts working again.

if someone knows whats really going on, please let me know.
i will start the script after 24 hours are complete to see if the router hangs again. then i will reduce the number of requests to see if it works for more than 6 hours. increasing the number of requests should reduce that time.

kanewolf

Titan
I think i have may have found out the reason why the router stops working after every 6 hours or so.
The reason appears to be the requests i send the to router through a monitoring script. it gets upspeed, downspeed, snr data etc from the router every 10 seconds.
I stopped the script and the router is working fine for 12 hours straight without any hiccup.

My reasoning:--- the script fills up some stack in the router. it takes 6 hours for it to become full. after that, the router doesnt know what to do so it just hangs. restarting it clears the stack and it starts working again.

i will start the script after 24 hours are complete to see if the router hangs again. then i will reduce the number of requests to see if it works for more than 6 hours. increasing the number of requests should reduce that time.
Does your script use SNMP or does it login and pull data from webpages?

So if the router work fine without your script, why are you running the script? It's a bit funny that what you are using to seemingly check if the router is working well is causing the router to not work well.

There is a T-shirt with a saying I saw that fits this "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is" LOL. Why not just check the router when there are issues with the connection or enable logs on it and check those? Are there connection issues you are trying to trouble-shoot or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS