Why do my files keep corrupting?

Tomhurst

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
So every couple of months I seem to have a problem... Something acting a bit weird, or my whole computer is amazingly slow, etc..

So I usually go for chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow

Now when running sfc, I ALWAYS seem to have some corrupt files? Now all I really do is browse Facebook, YouTube, Netflix etc. And play games using steam. So why do they always get corrupt?

I'm suffering at the moment because the sfc command "can't fix some of them" and I've run dism restore health but still to no avail.
This is a real pain... :(

Solution
Do you remember an update in last 2 weeks that took over an hour to install? If not, I doubt you have the update yet - its a new version of windows 10

to check
right click start and choose run...
type winver and press enter
the new version is Version 1607 (OS Build 14193.51). The old build was 10586

if you have old, run the update assistant and it will update you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did dism ask for a source or does it see no problems?

if it asked for a source, you need a copy of the win 10 ISO (see here: Win 10 media creation tool and then mount it in Explorer (see here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3579-iso-img-file-mount-unmount-windows-10-a.html) and then copy/paste the below command into Command prompt (Admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

But before you do any of that, do you have Anniversary update as that entire command won't work if you don't. The ISO needs to be same version as you have installed so if you aren't running the Anniversary version yet, click on the link above for media creation tool and click update now as it will load the Update assistant and let you get new version which may fix this problem for you.

Tomhurst

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
It ran without a source so I think it was fine... But sfc still can't fix my problems :(
I don't think I have the anniversary update, however my updates are automatic so I may?
Where can I tell? Thanks

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
If your hard drive is in good health, I would not worry about it as data corruption can just happen and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

If your data keeps getting corrupted then you may want to make a backup of your hard drive once you repair the system files. By doing this you can just restore the image the next time it happens and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you remember an update in last 2 weeks that took over an hour to install? If not, I doubt you have the update yet - its a new version of windows 10

to check
right click start and choose run...
type winver and press enter
the new version is Version 1607 (OS Build 14193.51). The old build was 10586

if you have old, run the update assistant and it will update you.

Solution