[SOLVED] Why do my games lag when CPU and GPU are NOT on 100% usage ?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
I recently wanted to check, what do I need to upgrade in my computer so that games would not lag as much ? One example is Teardown.
I have downloaded MSI Afterburner and when I ran the game, I saw that neither my CPU nor the GPU are running on 100% usage, but the game is extremely laggy. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Screenshot : https://prnt.sc/15ow079

My Specs :

Ryzen 5 2600 ( Not Overclocked )
GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
16GB DDR4
Chieftec 500W PSU ( No 80+ )
240GB NVME SSD
1TB HDD
PRIME B450M-A

Solution
I would argue in this case it's most likely the games aren't developed to take advantage of hardware as well as they could. It's common for core things to be funneled through one thread and that thread gets passed around.

You could always sanity check if your system could be running fine by running a benchmarking tool like 3DMark, Unigine Superposition, or Cinebench.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
What game is that, it looks awful :oops:

On that note, do you have the same problems with just this game, or all games, if it is just this game, the game is the problem.

Your RAM speed is shown to be running at 2,400 is this correct.?

What is your GPU RAM usage.? If I am reading the RAM usage correctly on the left, is that the whole system RAM usage.? If so, there is a good chance that your 4GB GPU RAM is the bottleneck in this game, at those settings.

Check your GPU RAM usage, try different settings in this game, try other games.

Good luck.

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
On that note, do you have the same problems with just this game, or all games, if it is just this game, the game is the problem.

Your RAM speed is shown to be running at 2,400 is this correct.?

I sometimes play stormworks and after testing that game, the same issue occurs, but the game is in slow motion and at 30 fps. None of my pc hardware are maxed out.

No, my RAM is running at 3000mhz, the thing that says 2400mb is my GPU's memory usage, and at the bottom it is the normal RAM.

I would argue in this case it's most likely the games aren't developed to take advantage of hardware as well as they could. It's common for core things to be funneled through one thread and that thread gets passed around.

You could always sanity check if your system could be running fine by running a benchmarking tool like 3DMark, Unigine Superposition, or Cinebench.

Solution