[SOLVED] Why do my monitors not display an image when my computers on?

Aug 24, 2019
Yesterday after having changed nothing both monitors would not show an image after the computer was on. I tried turning on and off the computer 6 times without an image. On the 7th try I finally got an image for both my monitors. While the computer was still on after that I had no problems.

Today it took two boots to get an image. On the second boot it took 2 to 3 minutes for an image to show. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I've read that this could be a power supply problem.

I never had any problems prior to yesterday.

Solution
Thanks for the reply. I've just been using the shut down function in the windows OS to shut down the computer. When I was constantly shutting down and starting up I was using the power button on the front of the computer.

I didn't know I could shut off the pc into standby mode but I'll do that from now on.

No no no.... If you are shutting off from within Windows and NOT flipping the power switch on the PSU, you ARE in standby. That's how it works. As long as you don't kill the power to the PC after you shut down in Windows.

I was only ASKING how you shut your PC off an on because what you're describing is a common problem for people that shut off their PSU or shut off a power strip, etc. to turn off their PC after they...
Wait...

You definitely live up to your name "LimitedInfo".

Is the problem that the monitors aren't turning on or is the problem that the PC is not booting up?

Your post seems to focus on the display output of the graphics card, then shifts to a focus on the PSU. Very confusing.

How are you turning the PC off at night and then back on again the next day?

And once it's up and running, do you have any problems?

What motherboard? What graphics card? What OS?

Do you have fast boot enabled? Turn it off if you do and see if this helps. Also run a diagnostic check on your os hard drive. It may be failing.

I agree you should try this first.

This is a good idea if you're using Windows 10 on an older motherboard and are turning the PC off via PSU switch, power strip, etc. A recent Windows update would have enabled this.

You can also just turn your PC off via Windows and leave the PC in standby the way ATX computers are designed. Never could understand why people "shut off" their PCs at night instead of just having them go into standby the way they're designed.

Aug 24, 2019
I agree you should try this first.

This is a good idea if you're using Windows 10 on an older motherboard and are turning the PC off via PSU switch, power strip, etc. A recent Windows update would have enabled this.

You can also just turn your PC off via Windows and leave the PC in standby the way ATX computers are designed. Never could understand why people "shut off" their PCs at night instead of just having them go into standby the way they're designed.
Thanks for the reply. I've just been using the shut down function in the windows OS to shut down the computer. When I was constantly shutting down and starting up I was using the power button on the front of the computer.

I didn't know I could shut off the pc into standby mode but I'll do that from now on.

No no no.... If you are shutting off from within Windows and NOT flipping the power switch on the PSU, you ARE in standby. That's how it works. As long as you don't kill the power to the PC after you shut down in Windows.

I was only ASKING how you shut your PC off an on because what you're describing is a common problem for people that shut off their PSU or shut off a power strip, etc. to turn off their PC after they shut down in Windows.

Since you can turn the PC back off/on from the switch in the front, the problem definitely isn't the PSU. And since your actually shutting down in Windows and not killing the power to the PC, it may not be OS related.

It's sounding more and more like a failing graphics card.

Solution
Aug 24, 2019

I was only ASKING how you shut your PC off an on because what you're describing is a common problem for people that shut off their PSU or shut off a power strip, etc. to turn off their PC after they shut down in Windows.

Since you can turn the PC back off/on from the switch in the front, the problem definitely isn't the PSU. And since your actually shutting down in Windows and not killing the power to the PC, it may not be OS related.

It's sounding more and more like a failing graphics card.
oh no that's not good, is that something I can easily test? I haven't dusted anything in 2 plus years could that be causing it?

oh no that's not good, is that something I can easily test? I haven't dusted anything in 2 plus years could that be causing it?

Two years? I have two cats. If I don't clean my PC out every six months it stops working! LOL!

Yeah... Clean it out.

Also don't dismiss @Fix_that_Glitch 's suggestion. It could be an OS issue. Might want to try rolling back the last update to see if the problem goes away.