[SOLVED] Why do my USB ports only work for a few seconds and then turn off (I can't access BIOS)

Jun 9, 2021
I built my second pc yesterday. I finished connecting everything and turned the pc on. It turned on and everything looked perfect, but, when I connected the graphics card to the monitor, it showed me the TUF GAMING screen and told me to press DEL or F2, so that's what I did. Nothing happened though, it looked frozen. After a couple basic troubleshooting stuff I realized it probably had to do with my USB port (cuz I connected my keyboard to one of them). I tried restarting a few times and realized my keyboard only lights up (turns on) for about 2-5 seconds and then turns off. Also, I realized my USB ports only work if I restart my pc with the keyboard connected (it doesn't work if I turn on the pc and then connect the keyboard (it doesn't light up)). I tried plugging my keyboard to every USB port in the motherboard and on the case, but that didn't work. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Nvidia GT 730
2x8gb Ballistix (ram)
Asus B550M Plus motherboard
Gigabyte 80+ Gold 650w Power Supply (Model: GP-P650B)

This is how my PC looks:
View: https://imgur.com/a/FV2LnY6

Last edited:
Solution
I had an issue with all of my USB ports randomly quitting on me a few days ago and it turned out it was caused by my USB3 hub's power supply being dead. I would normally only expect that to affect the HDD and SD-card adapters I had connected on that hub but it somehow caused system-wide USB reset, even my keyboard, mouse and UPS connected directly to the motherboard's USB2-only ports.

Disconnect all non-essential hardware including RGB and fan controllers, see if that makes your USB issues go away. If it does, one of those devices is probably defective.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just to be sure you've connected the keyboard and mouse on your build to the black USB ports located at the rear of the motherboard? Make and model of the PSU in your build? You should be able to see a sticker which states the BIOS version that the motherboard came shipped with. Mind sharing an image(s) of the sticker(s) on the motherboard? Which two slots on the motherboard are the sticks of ram occupying?

Reactions: kurdtnz

InvalidError

Titan
I had an issue with all of my USB ports randomly quitting on me a few days ago and it turned out it was caused by my USB3 hub's power supply being dead. I would normally only expect that to affect the HDD and SD-card adapters I had connected on that hub but it somehow caused system-wide USB reset, even my keyboard, mouse and UPS connected directly to the motherboard's USB2-only ports.

Disconnect all non-essential hardware including RGB and fan controllers, see if that makes your USB issues go away. If it does, one of those devices is probably defective.

Solution
Jun 9, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just to be sure you've connected the keyboard and mouse on your build to the black USB ports located at the rear of the motherboard? Make and model of the PSU in your build? You should be able to see a sticker which states the BIOS version that the motherboard came shipped with. Mind sharing an image(s) of the sticker(s) on the motherboard? Which two slots on the motherboard are the sticks of ram occupying?

Hi Lutfij, thank you! I've updated the post to state the power supply model and added images so you can see how my motherboard looks. I couldn't find any stickers on the motherboard, is there usually a specific place where you'd find these stickers? My ram is on the second and fourth slots, as you can see in the picture.

Jun 9, 2021

Hi InvalidError, thank you for commenting! I tried what you told me to do and I think I've found the issue. when I remove the graphics card, my USB slots seem to work just fine. I'll try to get it to work with another graphics card.
Update: I've tried switching graphics card but it didn't fix anything. Both of my graphics cards are old, so that might be the issue. One thing is for sure now though, the problem has to do with the graphics cards (or graphics card slots).

Last edited: