[SOLVED] Why do my wifi devices appear outside my wifi router/network

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi...

I had this problem for a long time but it's finally driving me crazy enough to ask this question. Why do do my WiFi devices like my printer and my Amazon TV show up in my windows network list outside my router? Is this normal? Can others see my devices? I don't see anyone elses devices in the area. I only see other routers but no other printers or amazon tv wifi devices. Also. My phone and tablet don't show up outside the network like the printer does. Attached is a screen shot. My network is filter. and just below it you can see my amazon tv and printer.

Is this correct? I've never seen this before. Also, odd things happen to my computer like disconnects (especially whenever I print). I'm almost certain I'm getting hacked most of the time.

Am I just being paranoid or is there something which is wrong here?

Thanks!

Solution
Hi... Thanks for the reply . I think I follow you on the direct access part. But I think it's the only way I can get it to connect. And even so shouldn't still reside inside my network. Right now (to me) it looks like anyone who knows the password could print or watch amazon tv on my network. I think it's been this way for a while but I'm not exactly sure how long. I think I should only see the printer and amazon tv if I'm connected to my network and I'm purposely trying to find or attach to the peripheral. More info on the best way to resolve and possibly hide these items would be great. No one else out there in the nearby houses seems to have this issue.
WIFI direct is a second way to connect to devices like printers...

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Link doesn't work. U may want to use a more public-accessible pic hosting site for people not having a pink account.

Try this one... I threw it up on one of my servers. Thx.

router.png

kanewolf

Titan
The printer may be a configuration issue. You may have it configured to create an adhoc WIFI network to allow devices like cameras to directly connect to the printer.
Yes. Reading the manual for that printer it has "WIFI Direct" -- See chapter seven of the users manual.
I am guessing the TV is the same. Notice how it starts with "DIRECT"

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi... Thanks for the reply . I think I follow you on the direct access part. But I think it's the only way I can get it to connect. And even so shouldn't still reside inside my network. Right now (to me) it looks like anyone who knows the password could print or watch amazon tv on my network. I think it's been this way for a while but I'm not exactly sure how long. I think I should only see the printer and amazon tv if I'm connected to my network and I'm purposely trying to find or attach to the peripheral. More info on the best way to resolve and possibly hide these items would be great. No one else out there in the nearby houses seems to have this issue.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI direct is a second way to connect to devices like printers and TVs. Did you look at the user's manual for your printer ? You can set it up for connection to your router. If you don't want WIFI direct the manual -- http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05632129 shows how to disable it.

Reactions: go7hic13
Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I want to emphasize that those DIRECT networks are not devices appearing outside your regular network, but are broadcasting networks themselves. This is not at all unusual, if you have direct access on. My Canon printer, for use by devices connected to my usual WiFi network, connect to it via the WiFi network. I also set up a direct connection in case I were to have guests who want to print something from their smartphones or laptops (which would not be connected to my regular WiFi network, and the guest network does not know a thing about my printer).

Chromecast will show up broadcasting itself in this way during the setup process, too.

Reactions: go7hic13

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I want to emphasize that those DIRECT networks are not devices appearing outside your regular network, but are broadcasting networks themselves. This is not at all unusual, if you have direct access on. My Canon printer, for use by devices connected to my usual WiFi network, connect to it via the WiFi network. I also set up a direct connection in case I were to have guests who want to print something from their smartphones or laptops (which would not be connected to my regular WiFi network, and the guest network does not know a thing about my printer).

Chromecast will show up broadcasting itself in this way during the setup process, too.

Hi... Thanks! I've been setting up everything from my laptop and the only way I can get it to work via the HP software is via direct access printing. I tried the user manual instructions and it is no longer listed in my "available networks" so this is a good thing. It resides in my own network/router and that's just what I want. For some reason configuring it via Direct doesn't generate the proper effect for me. But inputing the password directly into the printer worked like a charm. Thanks again guys! I'll try the amazon tv as well next.