Question Why do my wired internet slower than wifi?

Jul 3, 2022
My internet speed is around 400mbps, download speed while using my laptop is 23-24 Mb/s (wifi)
My desktop, however, is using a Cat6 cable and somehow only gets ~100mbps speed (~11Mb/s), same speed with the old Cat5 cable, so i dont think its the cable problem
I checked the lan internet property and it showed 100/100mbps linkspeed
What could be the issue here?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard?(assuming you're working with the NIC bundled with your motherboard and not an add-on card). BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your router?

USAFRet

Titan
My internet speed is around 400mbps, download speed while using my laptop is 23-24 Mb/s (wifi)
My desktop, however, is using a Cat6 cable and somehow only gets ~100mbps speed (~11Mb/s), same speed with the old Cat5 cable, so i dont think its the cable problem
I checked the lan internet property and it showed 100/100mbps linkspeed
What could be the issue here?
That is either your cable(s), or the router port.
Minorly, it might be the ethernet port on your motherboard (unlikely0.

What specific router is it?

Check that the nic setting are "auto". Setting it to anything else can confuse the router which can only run in auto.
I will assume that your router has gigabit lan ports ?

After that your best option for what is broken is you got unlucky and got a second bad cable. The only other thing would be a bad port in the computer which you can't really fix other than buying a add in ethernet card.

There are massive amounts of fake cable being sold. You need nothing better than cat5e but it must be a quality cable. The most common fake cables are those flat ones. Because they wire is too small they randomly do not work with some ports.