Why do so many seem to hate Rosewill PSUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fkscott17

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hey all. Just general cusiosity, it seems like many people seem to hate Rosewill power supplies. I sometimes see people react to a Rosewill as if its some sort of computer antichrist. From what I've looked into them on Newegg like anything there are some cheapies but there appear to be some decent quality ones. Customer reviews seem good too. I understand there are brands people will recomend over all others such as OCZ, yet I've read many accounts of an OCZ failing. Obviously any PSU can fail. So what gives? Why the hate for Rosewill?

ATNG make roswell psu's

ATNG Power Co. LTD (I Horng Power Co. LTD.) is one of the larger providers of power supplies in various markets including the US and is fairly well known to many users. As a company ATNG has been in business since 1987 and currently has a production capacity of ~900,000 units a month. ATNG branded power supplies can be found under other brands such as Rosewill, older BFG Tech models, Coolmax, StarTech.com, some ABS, the ATNG brand itself, and others. Typically ATNG power supplies have not been what most users have considered to be a premier product offering but with the increased competition in the power supply market of late ATNG has released a number of new products that are of great interest

They're not the only low end oem that Rosewill uses

AMW1011

Distinguished

The Seasonic M12D and the Antec Signature 850w are a good deal better than the HX-850w, though it is an amazing power supply.

My whole point is that there are a LOT of great PSU manufacturers and some that have even better products than what Corsair has to offer.

I really don't see how you're claiming that they're a good deal better - all the tests I've seen put the Signature and the HX-850 on roughly even footing. I'd forgotten about the M12D though - that's an excellent PSU as well (though it has somewhat higher ripple at full load than either the Signature or HX-850).

They're all better than some of corsair's older designs though.

Which ones are you looking at?

The JonnyGuru reviews show the M12D as worse than the HX - here is the 12V ripple at full load:

M12D: ~40mv
Corsair: 24mv
Antec: 13mv

As for efficiency, the Antec hovers around 85%, the Corsair around 88%, and the M12D around 86-87%. Honestly, although the Antec is lower ripple, I'd say overall, the Corsair is a strong contender for the top honors here.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Ok.. I'm bringing this old thread up again because of a glaring misrepresentation of Rosewill power supplies.

First off... the power supply in that video is not a Rosewill. It has been confirmed long ago that it is a Raidmax RX-450K 450W power supply.

Here is a link to the power supply, still being sold on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152032

That power supply is made by Sun Pro Electronics Company LTD. Which does not , by the way, make any power supplies for Rosewill.

Rosewill is Newegg's house brand and, as of right now, they four main manufacturers for their power supplies.

ATNG
ABS
Solytech
Deer

The ATNG units, which are the Extreme Series (EX-) and Performance Series (RP-), have been found by several trusted tech site to be very good actually. I agree that there are better power supplies to be had, but when tested these units received anywhere from 8 to 9 out of 10 on final scoring. Yes, efficiency, voltage regulation and ripple are not nearly as good as high-end power supplies found on the market (Antec, Corsiar, Silverstone, Seasonic....), but the regulation and ripple were found to be well within specs. The efficiency, while rated 80-plus, just missed the mark on one or two cross-load tests, coming in at 79 %... but otherwise it stayed at 80 - 81%.

The ABS units, which are the Libetas Series (LIB-) and Green Series (RG-), are good quality units that, like above, stay within specs on regulation, ripple, efficiency and rated power output. Although there are no reviews specifically tested under the Rosewill badge, some of the same ABS branded power supplies were tested and found to be pretty solid.

The Solytech units, which are the Stallion Series (RD-), did not fair as well under testing and found that , while coming close, could not put out their rated power output. This is due to Solytech listing their specs as rated at running under 25C temperatures.. which is a fairytale inside a PC. The regulation and ripple were also on the fine line of being out of spec, and on some units going out of spec by a bit.

The Deer units, which are the Value Series (RV-), are the worst of the bunch. Effeciency, regulation and ripple are a joke and this is where Rosewill takes a dramatic turn for the worse. This is the major "black eye" for Rosewill branded power supplies and I think that Rosewill/Newegg should just drop this line, and possibly the Stallion line, altogether.

I hope that shed a bit more light on Rosewill power supplies.. instead of the usual forum reply of " Rosewill PSU's suck... stay away...."

No glaring misrepresentations, Rosewill power supplies just aren't to be trusted.
The link was added to show what junk power supplies can do, it wasn't implied that it was a Rosewill.
The light you shed is known by more than a few members here, it just doesn't change the facts.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

You first say Rosewill is not to be trusted.

You then say Rosewill is junk in the next sentence.

Finally, you conclude these as facts in your last sentence.

OK...

First... Well... you say that Rosewill power supplies are not to be trusted... but reviews of the ATNG units from a TRUSTED hardware tech site, one that is quoted numerously on this forum, has given them high marks.

JohnyGuru RP500-2 8.5 out of 10

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=32

Johny Guru Xtreme RX750 9 out of 10

JohnyGuru Xtreme RX850 8.5 out of 10

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=60

The you have the Green Series by ABS:

Hardware Secrets RG630-s12 Golden Award

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/881/10

Well... going by that, the Rosewill power supplies are not "junk" as you would have people believe.

In fact, the RV and RD series made by Deer and Solytech have been slowly taken off of Newegg's site and not replaced with anything new from those aging lines. The ATNG and ABS power supplies are in greater quantities now and represent the newer lines offered by Newegg/Rosewill Meanwhile, the older ATNG units that had Fuhjyyu caps in them are also being phased out , while the newer versions have better internal components. Also, all the newer models are all rated at 40C or 50C operating temps and most have 80-plus to 80 bronze specifications.

Those, my friend, are FACTS...

Now, I will grant you that when building, I would most likely not recommend a Rosewill unit when there is a better alternative in the same price range. But to arbitrarily say that Rosewill units are junk and cant be trusted is very misleading, when in fact they are anything but.

Your turn.....

That's funny as hell, your reading comprehension , I mean.
I've read the reviews, I've reccomended Rosewill because of them, the people I reccomend them to were disappointed by receiving either DOA units or unit's that should have, but couldn't, power thier system's.
Done now.

The answer to your original question is somewhat historical in nature and somewhat psychological.

Rosewill started out in 2004. At the time they had a very bad reputation for offering low budget, low quality power supplies of questionable performance and value. It is very diffficult for veterans to forget the past.

Rosewill did try and improve their reputation by offering some better quality power supplies but they were still offering low quality power supplies at the same time. They're product line-up was inconsistent and still is to this day. This practice has a tendency to mislead consumers who are ill informed. If they read a favorable technical review they may incorrectly assume that the other psu's are of good quality when in fact they may be just average or below average.

Currently Rosewill offers 28 different power supplies. The company only submitted 18 of them to 80+ for testing and certification. Only 8 of those earned 80+ Bronze certifcation. One model earned a gold certifiction. The remaining 9 that were submitted were rated as ordinary standard power supplies.

It is the lack of consistent high quality that is irritating to veterans and a disservice to consumers.

skipdashu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
Well I'm running 6 to 9 computers on Rosewill RG430s, RG530s, 630s and one RX750. They run 24/7/365 with OC'd quads and hex cores all running 100% all the time, all with 1 or more video card in them also always running at 99% load doing # crunching. They've outlasted all the Antec EA series I've had and all the cheapo brands I've had. Oh, yea...they are running in 'the server ovan' an un-A/C'd garage in Texas... promise you that garage is over 99F daily from June thru September with some days hitting 111F. I've had 1 RG530 fail at about 9 months and it was replaced w/o question.

Recently I bought a couple of Senteys (850 and 1kw). Holding up will so far.

And unlike the recent bust of RaidMax, Corsair and some others who were selling "Gold" 80+ certified supplies that when tested didn't even meet the "Bronze" level certification numbers.... these seem to meet what they are certified at.

Sorry guys, but I'm a BIG fan of Rosewill's 80+ certified line of PSUs. I've got the running, real world torture chamber that has proven them out over some better known names.

'da shu'

PS: Not the current config but close 'nuff... Ongoing torture: Crunchers

skipdashu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

Thanx, I have been trying to figure out who made the RG530-S12s

Rosewill's PSU series, model #'s, OEMs

RBR Modular Series, Model RB..., OEM: Sirtec

80Plus Green Series, Model RG..., OEM: ATNG

Stallion Series, Model RD..., OEM: Solytech
Stallion Series, Model DER-A400, OEM: Deer Computer

Performance Series, Model RP..., OEM: ATNG

Value Series, Model RV..., OEM: ATNG and Deer Computer

Libertas Series, Model LIB..., OEM: ATNG

Xtreme Series, Model RX..., OEM: ATNG

Lightning Series, Model Lightning-..., OEM: Super Flower

At least you've stayed away from the crap series (i.e. Stallion, Performance and Value).

Status
Not open for further replies.