Why do so many seem to hate Rosewill PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fkscott17

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hey all. Just general cusiosity, it seems like many people seem to hate Rosewill power supplies. I sometimes see people react to a Rosewill as if its some sort of computer antichrist. From what I've looked into them on Newegg like anything there are some cheapies but there appear to be some decent quality ones. Customer reviews seem good too. I understand there are brands people will recomend over all others such as OCZ, yet I've read many accounts of an OCZ failing. Obviously any PSU can fail. So what gives? Why the hate for Rosewill?

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I wouldn't say they're rigged to explode. Most people will buy a power supply like that and never have problems with it. Duds happen even with the very best PSUs... (hey, like the last unit I bought <_< )

The Corsair video seems a little suspect to me. They were probably stressing a particular rail and trying to make the power supply fail. I'm sure their own products are built to take that kind of stress, but you can't really expect the budget power supplies to hold up in unrealistic operating conditions.

I'm not saying buy cheap PSUs... I just think most on the market are not so bad for 90% of consumer applications.

Oh, and Rosewill is Newegg's house brand.

Fkscott17

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I bought a Rosewill, I know I know I should have done my research first etc etc. I went with it because it seemed to offer a lot, 4 12v rail 80 plus certified. It had been $200 one night, so I wasn't going to buy it. Next day it's half price for black Friday. I figure what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I can't say I've been dissapointed with it. Seems to run cool, not too loud even with it's large fan. My favorite feature is that the fan stays on for another minute or so after shutting down my comp, allowing for extra cooling. Had I been smarter about it and not jumped the gun at seeing what I though wasan excellent deal, I probably would have skipped it. Only time will tell though, I could eventually have problems with it but then again I could not. There's worse that could happen in life than my computer exploding. Lol

shovenose

Distinguished

this link is bs. they probably put a 1000w load on this poor thing. i have only had one psu explode on me. it was a 300w Sparkle Power Supply. i was running a dual-proc p3 850mhz with 4 hard drives, 2 cd drives, and two PCI graphics card. it didnt kill any of the other components. but there was a funny noise, the screen went black, and like half a second later. bang! SMOKE!!!

Regardless of the load you put on it, a PSU should NEVER explode. If overloaded, a good quality PSU will shut down, undamaged and without ever going out of spec on any rail.

shovenose

Distinguished
that 1st one is just like the one that blew up on me. its a piece of junk. thouhgh most of the reviews for the thing are good, theres a high fail/doa rate. the 350w one also has lots of doas, though it seems a bit lousy quality

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I bought a Antec case with 450w PSU from CompUSA back when they were alive. Built the system and at the first magic moment of the first Boot, Blam it blew up, scared the poo outa me as I was leaning over the case. I deconstructed the system took it back for a exchange. Got the second identical model home built the system, turned it on and Blam a second time. So I disassmbled the system took it back got a third exchange built the system and took the entire thing to CompUSA and had the Tech guys double check everything. Just as I knew the assembly was correct. The third case + Psu lasted until I discarded it from old age. I am still very wary of Antec PSUs.

Why do you disagree? Corsair makes excellent PSUs (I have an HX1000). There are other companies making excellent PSUs too (Seasonic and Antec spring to mind, among others), but Corsair is one of the few brands I know of where you can rely on every single PSU in their line to perform excellently.

AMW1011

Distinguished
I know that Corsair PSUs are great, but not the best. They are just too damn overhyped. They are like PC POWER & COOLING and Seasonic, who makes the PSUs, in that you can always trust them to be excellent. Best, they are not however. Out of the three I listed Corsair is likely the worst, but we are still comparing excellent vs. excellent PSUs. There is no best, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much power you need. For example, the Enermax Revolution 1050w PSUs is the highest performig 1kw PSU to date. I love
Corsair PSUs, but they are called the best far too much around here.

AMW1011

Distinguished

That is horrible luck. I've had some bad luck with PSUs myself which is why I am so critical and picky about them. Luckily PC POWER & COOLING tests every single PSU shipped and includes the results, makes it difficult to get a DOA one.

Honestly, the best current PSUs for high power systems IMHO are the Corsair HX-850W and the Antec Signature 850. They are essentially unmatched for low ripple, efficiency, and general performance (unless you desperately need the higher output of a 1000+W). I'll agree that Corsair isn't the only excellent choice, but they make amazing power supplies (and the HX850 is incredible).

Status
Not open for further replies.