[SOLVED] why do the asus rog x570 motherboards have a built in fan?

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
On the Crosshair VIII Hero/Formula, and on the X570-E/F it shows that there's a fan next to the m.2 slot to apparently keep it cooler for better performance? i mean i don't even play to use m.2's so is there a way to remove the fan? This is making me want to go for an intel build instead

Solution
The fan is for the x570 chipset.
Due to x570 supporting pci4 (among other factors) the x570 chipset gets hot and needs active cooling with a fan.

The fan can be removed, but it will cause the chipset to throttle and is overall a very bad thing to do. There is a reason the engineers put the fan there.

You could use an x470 or b450 board with a bios update if you want a silent board.
There may be an x570 board or 2 with a large heatsync over the chipsert and no fan.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the chipset itself is hot. the x570 needs cooling the fans has nothing to do with the m.2.

chipset fans are returning, they have been around for decades.
iu

even intel has chipset fans. x99 motherboard with a chipset cooler

The fan is for the x570 chipset.
Due to x570 supporting pci4 (among other factors) the x570 chipset gets hot and needs active cooling with a fan.

The fan can be removed, but it will cause the chipset to throttle and is overall a very bad thing to do. There is a reason the engineers put the fan there.

You could use an x470 or b450 board with a bios update if you want a silent board.
There may be an x570 board or 2 with a large heatsync over the chipsert and no fan.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS