Question Why do the USB C ports on my MSI Z390 Godlike run at 2.0 speeds?

Ultimateh

Prominent
May 30, 2020
I've checked the website and they are supposed to be 3.1

I would settle for any USB3 speeds but they read and write at 40mb/s and are recognized in the USBtreeview program as USB 2

I have removed the drivers of all my USB slots and even just did a BIOS update. Installed the official drivers from the MSI website. I checked the motherboard diagram and I don't think I'm even using the optional plug in for the USB 2.0 ports that are available on the board.

Both the USB C right on the faceplate of the motherboard and the one on my case that is connected via the USB3 cable have this issue.

Anyone able to help?

Ultimateh

Prominent
May 30, 2020
Did you ever find a solution? Im having a similar problem, but on a different mobo
Nope! I moved on to Gigabyte. Annoying of MSI to never fix it. Gigabyte also sucks. They all suck. But at least I get full speed with Gigabyte.... although I'm not entirely sure I'm getting full pcie4 speeds for my ssd's... ugh. How frustrating.

Jun 6, 2021
Nope! I moved on to Gigabyte. Annoying of MSI to never fix it. Gigabyte also sucks. They all suck. But at least I get full speed with Gigabyte.... although I'm not entirely sure I'm getting full pcie4 speeds for my ssd's... ugh. How frustrating.
Ugh, at this point Im just about to give up on using usb c and go with good ole usb A 3.0

Ultimateh

Prominent
May 30, 2020
Ugh, at this point Im just about to give up on using usb c and go with good ole usb A 3.0
I'd also recommend you double check that you're using ACTUAL USB 3.0 or higher speed cables... and cables that come with phones often are only 2.0 rated because they're designed for fast charging.

TRENDING THREADS