Why do they do this to us?

G

I'm talking about Intel and AMD. They come out every friggin month with a faster CPU. If they come out with an 800 MHz, then they come out a month later with a 866 then, 900, 966,1GHz, 1.1, 1.2 etc. (there are probably some in between too) Plus the latest cpu is hundreds of dollars more than the previous one. I would like to know who buys these because someone must buy them all (why else would they do that). Do any of you buy the latest CPU every time a faster one comes out? I certainly don't and will keep my P3 800.

G

Sad as it may seem, YES people buy them. The numebr one buyer of the fastest CPUs is the large OEMs and they do not pay the full price you see. OEMs that manufacturer retail systems (IBM, Compaq, HP, etc.) have a very long lead time from manufacturer of systems to ystems being available on retail shelves so by the time they actually get these machines with the latest and greatest CPU on store shelves, it is not the latest and greatest anymore. OEMs have to buy the fastest just to keep up. Corporate buyers also by these chips whenever their next equipment replacement cycle comes up they buy the fastest and most reliable machiens they can to try to stave off the next equipment replacement cycle as long as possible. And, of course, if you go ask your neighbor who doens;t know the first thing about comptuers what computer they think they need, they will sya they need the fastest 1GHz machine when all they need is Pentium 200Mhz for reading email and browsing the web.

Outlaw98
** Nothing In Spec Inside

G

Ha ha ha,

It's fun, isn't it. Pentium 200 is enough for email, or I would say more than enough.

But you know it, don't you. Intel managed to convince the world that every computer needs a Pentium III for the Internet.

Just look at their ads. Is that the marketing people of Intel not so computer educated, or they are playing with us?

G

As long as they saying "Mines Bigger than Yours" exists, then AMD and Intel will 'Scale Up' the MHZ war.

Thermal Acceleration means 'Overclocking'

G

I think they probably have all the next ones all ready and waiting. Once the demand for the latest one slows down they release the next one then the next one and on and on and on and on....Greedy bastards!

G

No, no it is a financial managers' tricks. They will convince to buys these computers. They can of course bring one good computer every year (like for example in 2001 AMD 1.6 Ghz, then next one in 2002 AMD 3.2 Ghz) but they can get more money if they will do it step by step, slowly, a lot of money involved in these tricks. Very sad. :frown: . But Intel sucks and AMD rules :cool:

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a rule. Every 3 months upgrade. This way i only invest small amounts of money vs spending thousands having to buy a new system. Plus i love to mess with new products.

TRENDING THREADS