Daniel

Human nature needs to be free and independance.
Why do many people advocate for being dependant to an unstable
mechanism?
Why do many people feel eager to do something they love to do totally
legitimate (which they acquires with their own money) only with
permission from someone?
Why are many people ready to jump through lots of painful hoops when
being told to to get something legitimate which they already paid for
and still ask:" How high?"
Why do people want to be bashing someone who is not agree to this status
quo, someone who just wants to be free?
Why are people still happy when they are treated on a basis of: "You are
guilty unless proved innocent" (through endless authentification)" and
sometimes this type of authentification could even impede on their
enjoyment of what they love?
Why are people still satisfied even when handing their money to someone
to exchange with something, and the person said: " I still do not trust
you yet....Wait, I put this gag on your neck."

Duh, tell us...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:36:20 +1100, Daniel <daniel@dontbother.com>
wrote:

>Human nature needs to be free and independance.
>Why do many people advocate for being dependant to an unstable
>mechanism?
>Why do many people feel eager to do something they love to do totally
>legitimate (which they acquires with their own money) only with
>permission from someone?
>Why are many people ready to jump through lots of painful hoops when
>being told to to get something legitimate which they already paid for
>and still ask:" How high?"
>Why do people want to be bashing someone who is not agree to this status
>quo, someone who just wants to be free?
>Why are people still happy when they are treated on a basis of: "You are
>guilty unless proved innocent" (through endless authentification)" and
>sometimes this type of authentification could even impede on their
>enjoyment of what they love?
>Why are people still satisfied even when handing their money to someone
>to exchange with something, and the person said: " I still do not trust
>you yet....Wait, I put this gag on your neck."

"By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well --
a fire in the minds of men. It warms those
who feel its power, it burns those who fight
its progress, and one day this untamed fire
of freedom will reach the darkest corners of our world."

wrote:

>Human nature needs to be free and independance.
>Why do many people advocate for being dependant to an unstable
>mechanism?
>Why do many people feel eager to do something they love to do totally
>legitimate (which they acquires with their own money) only with
>permission from someone?
>Why are many people ready to jump through lots of painful hoops when
>being told to to get something legitimate which they already paid for
>and still ask:" How high?"
>Why do people want to be bashing someone who is not agree to this status
>quo, someone who just wants to be free?
>Why are people still happy when they are treated on a basis of: "You are
>guilty unless proved innocent" (through endless authentification)" and
>sometimes this type of authentification could even impede on their
>enjoyment of what they love?
>Why are people still satisfied even when handing their money to someone
>to exchange with something, and the person said: " I still do not trust
>you yet....Wait, I put this gag on your neck."

Yawn!!

I smell Difools hand in this!! Cant even be arsed to check headers etc

Cheers

Yojimbo
aka Justin Thompson

Very proud owner of:
3 'Hapless AGHL lurker' points
4 'I corrected Daemon points'
5 AGHL 'de-cloaking' points
6 'I summed it up in a sentence' points
10 AGHL "I sure slapped those fools down points"

"Daniel" <daniel@dontbother.com> wrote in message
> Human nature needs to be free and independance.
> Why do many people advocate for being dependant to an unstable
> mechanism?
> Why do many people feel eager to do something they love to do totally
> legitimate (which they acquires with their own money) only with
> permission from someone?
> Why are many people ready to jump through lots of painful hoops when
> being told to to get something legitimate which they already paid for
> and still ask:" How high?"
> Why do people want to be bashing someone who is not agree to this status
> quo, someone who just wants to be free?
> Why are people still happy when they are treated on a basis of: "You are
> guilty unless proved innocent" (through endless authentification)" and
> sometimes this type of authentification could even impede on their
> enjoyment of what they love?
> Why are people still satisfied even when handing their money to someone
> to exchange with something, and the person said: " I still do not trust
> you yet....Wait, I put this gag on your neck."

Because the ends justify the means.

HL2 is worth the effort, you lunatic.

What are you blathering on about, df? (I'm sad enough to check the
headers...)

Daniel wrote:
> Human nature needs to be free and independance.
> Why do many people advocate for being dependant to an unstable
> mechanism?

I'm not dependent on STEAM (there, I said it. First one in this thread
too. Woo hoo). I use it when I want to. I check for updates when I want
to. I decide whether to leave it installed, or remove it. It is
dependent on me for it's existence on my PC.
As for "unstable", well, it's been fine on my PC, but other people may
have technical issues. Same with any software and also hardware.

> Why do many people feel eager to do something they love to do totally
> legitimate (which they acquires with their own money) only with
> permission from someone?

It's not a case of giving you permission. You automatically have
"permission". It's stopping other people taking advantage of what you
legitimately acquired with your own money. You paid Valve/Vivendi for
the game - why should someone else be able to make a copy of what is
yours and then use it in a way that stops you using it?

> Why are many people ready to jump through lots of painful hoops when
> being told to to get something legitimate which they already paid for
> and still ask:" How high?"

Yes, the installation process should be better explained with a leaflet
in the retail box.

> Why do people want to be bashing someone who is not agree to this
status
> quo, someone who just wants to be free?

I'm not bashing you. But others will because you are writing this post
in such a way as to invite bashing. You are deliberately being
provocative and there are many people on this NG who type first and ask
questions later.

> Why are people still happy when they are treated on a basis of: "You
are
> guilty unless proved innocent" (through endless authentification)"
and
> sometimes this type of authentification could even impede on their
> enjoyment of what they love?

The authentication will only impede my enjoyment if someone has stolen
my account details. Same applies to most other online games. The
difference is that Steam requires an initial registration to create a
unique account, not just a check at runtime to prevent two people with
the same CD-Key going on the same server at the same time.
"Guilty until innocent"? The authenticaion is exactly the same concept
as any other CD-check, password, login, PIN etc. If you enter the right
details, you get access. if not, you don't. Try entering your house
with next door's key. You can't get in unless you are have been given
(or stolen) the key.
Back to online PC games specifically, the traditional method of
preventing multiple people logging in with the same copy of the game is
to prevent the same CD-Key or account details being used twice on a
server. The disadvantage is that it's first-come-first-served. If the
pirate goes online first, then you (the legit owner) cannot get on that
server. By creating a Steam Account that is not tied to hardware, the
possibilities of someone using your access details to go online are
vastly reduced.

> Why are people still satisfied even when handing their money to
someone
> to exchange with something, and the person said: " I still do not
trust
> you yet....Wait, I put this gag on your neck."

I am not gagged or restricted in any way. My freedom has not been
impaired. I can play HL2 whenever I want. I start Steam whenever I
want. I can uninstall it whenever I want. Please tell us in what way
you think Steam is inhibiting you.

For the record, I have more trouble playing Far Cry than I do HL2. When
I installed HL2 and Steam, it automatically updated itself to the most
recent version. I can check for further updates anytime I like (eg.
when I check my email). If it finds any, they are downloaded and
installed; if not, nothing happens. When I want to play HL2
singleplayer it automatically authenticates itself locally and offline;
I don't have to enter any password or anything - it just starts.
Far Cry on the other hand, only works with the DVD in the drive, and on
my PC only when I boot with the DVD in the drive (dunno why, probably
got the drive set up wrong). If I want to see if there are any patches,
then Google is my friend. I have to download them myself and install
them myself, assuming I've found them at a reputable source. Some
places require me to register before I can download them.
So my experience is that Steam makes HL2 easier for me than Far Cry.

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:36:20 +1100, Daniel <daniel@dontbother.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Human nature needs to be free and independance.
>>
> Yawn!!
>
> I smell Difools hand in this!! Cant even be arsed to check headers etc
>

> Cheers
>
> Yojimbo
> aka Justin Thompson
>
> Very proud owner of:
> 3 'Hapless AGHL lurker' points
> 4 'I corrected Daemon points'
> 5 AGHL 'de-cloaking' points
> 6 'I summed it up in a sentence' points
> 10 AGHL "I sure slapped those fools down points"

Yep, Same rambling incoherent drivel with a new handle, Likewise; not even
worth looking at headers.

A couple monkeys with a keyboard could do better,

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

> I smell Difools hand in this!! Cant even be arsed to check headers etc

Did you notice how Difool and Daniel are never seen in the same thread
together?

In article <1107167720.762342.105030@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What are you blathering on about, df? (I'm sad enough to check the
> headers...)

Chadwick, what are you hoping to achieve by arguing with him? You seem
to be the only person still replying to his threads (and you seem to
need to say something in *every* steam thread going)....

a) he's not going to take any notice of you, since he's just trolling
the ng,

b) none of us are going to read your posts in these threads since
they're just replying to someone most of us have killfiled long ago

c) you're just prolonging this garbage, which is fine in difool's eyes,
but why would *you* want that?

d) you're getting your name inextricably linked with arguments about
steam - soon no-one will read any of your posts on any other topic.

Move on, dude.

___
Neil
AKA HighVis