why do wireless units need wired connections to set them up? craxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I have a trendnet wireless router with only ethernet ports. Initial setup needs wired connection to internet. My internet connection is a Clear hotspot only. How do I get a wired connection between these two ...to do my initial setup?

Should I just connect the router to the laptop with ethernet cord and let it pick up the wifi signal from the hotspot? will that do? Or do I really need to connect the router to the hotspot?

Is there an adapter or converter cord or any such cord I could buy with that big old ethernet plug on one end and that teeny tiny little plug on the other end? Or am I thinking all wrong about this? If so, please help me get on the right track?

Also, my wireless printer said it needed a wired connection, as well, but I was at least able to wire it to my laptop as an option, until I figure out how to get my router set up... some day..., hopefully...
Can anyone Please help?
Thank you in advance!

Solution
You are mixing too many technologies there...
Your "Clear" hotspot is already a router it allows you to connect a (limited) number of wireless devices to the Internet. In that sense, you don't need another (Trendnet, Asus, Cisco etc) router.

You can use your Trendent router as wireless bridge (e.g. to connect your wired-Ethernet-Only game console to the Internet), or as an Extender. And you will probably have to connect to the Trendet with a cable in order to configure it.
Your "Clear" hotspot is already a router it allows you to connect a (limited) number of wireless devices to the Internet. In that sense, you don't need another (Trendnet, Asus, Cisco etc) router.

You can use your Trendent router as wireless bridge (e.g. to connect your wired-Ethernet-Only game console to the Internet), or as an Extender. And you will probably have to connect to the Trendet with a cable in order to configure it.

Reactions: unice2
Solution

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Thank you, Alabalcho! Sorry it took me years to answer, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts