Why do you choose AMD or Intel?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks! ;)

The idea is easy just post ur reasons for choose AMD or Intel.

Note that this isn't a discussion to find if Intel or AMD is better and comes about that will be deleted.

Now my 1st opinion here.

I choose AMD for price/performance and when I build my current rig I was without work but I'm thinking wait for Sandy and Bulldozer to build two rigs Intel and AMD. :sol:

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Always been an AMD man, brilliant chips, built to last, pretty good performance for the price.

Have got an i7 930 now, but only due to the fact it was pretty much at the top of the list for gaming performance and overclock-ability.

glingo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I've always used my PC's for hardcore to casual gaming and general use (multimedia, office, internet, no video encoding)

In the past 20 years I've had 4 intel (386SX, 486 DX, Pentium I Pro, Pentium III) and 3 AMD (Athlon XP, Athlon 64, Athlon X2).... there's not a bad word I can say about any of them.... they were the best value for money when I bought them (although in the 90's the choice was often intel or intel).

Anno 2010:
If I was to build a budget gaming rig right now I would choose for an Athlon II X3 445. Astonishing value for money and you can even use the same m/b to upgrade to a Phenom X6 when the prices will drop amd the games will become really multi-treaded in the near future.

On the mid-range segment the i5 760 is King, the phenoms II X4 are maybe cheaper but they are also slower and draw more power. Only (little) problem i see is that it has no support for SATA 3 (?)... Not that I need it right now but let's say that i buy an expensive SSD 2 years from now, I would prefer it to be SATA 3 so i can use it without performance loss on my future 2014 rig...

Not much I can say for the high-end (gaming) sector... it's i7 or i7....

I have built many rigs both AMD and Intel and when it comes down to it they both are great companies with great innovation. Usually for me I like Intel but when building on a budget AMD is great you can build a pretty decent gaming rig for under $400.

Intel has the performance crown though so until that changes I will keep buying Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.