Why do you think there is no HyperThreading on Ivy Bridge i5s

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I want to know any good reasons on why they decided to kill hyperthreading, on my i7 2630QM I really took advantage of it with PhotoShop and games like FarCry 2. I was thinking of building an i5 array for my next big budget build but with no hyperthreading would it just be better to jump up to i7?

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
To make you buy an i7. I really don't think failed tests would affect this, as the HT part is a very small unit. So I think it's just to have another separation: i3 2x2, i5 4x1, i7 4x2.
Just like selling the Pentium brand with smaller caches (although here the disabled cache could have faults). As opposed to GPUs, where usually they make 3 different arhitectures/generation (which they still separate like CPUs), the CPU world is really 1 production line separated at testing time based on failed modules and power consumption (so your i7 mobile could have been a brother to your desktop i3 or even pentium from the same gen.).

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
There was no hyperthreading on Sandy Bridge i5s either. Or any other desktop i5s

If you are referring to the mobile i5s, I hadn't heard that and it seems doubtful since even the SB mobile i3s have HT