[SOLVED] Why does 5 Ghz signal now drop near router?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
As a followup to a previous post I have installed an AX201 to replace my AC 9560 in my Intel 10th gen laptop. Connecting the antennas was harder than getting my University degree. But everything works :)

But one thing puzzels. I have two connections an DSL 2.4 ghz router and an Fiber 5 ghz router. With the new wifi card the signal strength drops when I am near the router, but as soon as I move away to the other end of the house, the signal is fine.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Any antenna array has a specific pattern designed by the engineer. Most patterns are in a >|< shape for omni-directional stick type antennas. As you notice, the closer you get to an antenna the smaller the signal pattern. Most antenna are not designed to be used up close. On top of that, it is not good health wise to sit next to your AP. Some of these APs put out more wattage than specified and can cause health problems, like headaches.
Jan 8, 2021
Any antenna array has a specific pattern designed by the engineer. Most patterns are in a >|< shape for omni-directional stick type antennas. As you notice, the closer you get to an antenna the smaller the signal pattern. Most antenna are not designed to be used up close. On top of that, it is not good health wise to sit next to your AP. Some of these APs put out more wattage than specified and can cause health problems, like headaches.

Solution