Question Why does 60 fps look bad?

Nov 4, 2020
Hello, why does 60 fps look bad on my pc? I think part of a problem is that I used 120Hz monitor for few months to play competitive games like CSGO, but the problem is that if I wanted to play newer AAA game I couldn't run it in 100+ fps to look smooth because my pc isn't powerfull enough and I decided to go back to play on 60hz again and it was rough first few days, it was really laggy (like games were under 30 fps). It got better by the time and I can play like this, but not everygame. In some games like AC Unity in closed areas it is good enought, still little choppy but playable, but when you climb up and see whole city and all those people it is very laggy (it's still stable 60 fps). Another thing is that when I use the controller and it is smooth as it was before I switched to 120Hz. And also when I am at my friends house who has 60Hz everything is smooth. I don't know if my eyes are broken or it's something with my pc/monitor. If someone can tell me why it's like that I would be gratefull or if there is a fix to this.

Liquidraine

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Would probably need to know your PC specs, the games you're playing, what settings you are running them at, the resolution and things like whether you're using V sync.

Games running at low FPS is usually the settings being too high for the hardware or the game is a poorly optimized PC port. Otherwise you're looking at some kind of hardware fault somewhere.

For example i play Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey with almost full graphics settings at 1080p and my FPS are usually around 45-50 on a 1060 6GB, 4790K, 16GB RAM. However, i tend to turn off things like clouds, chromatic aberration and depth of field and put shadows on medium.

Nov 4, 2020
Would probably need to know your PC specs, the games you're playing, what settings you are running them at, the resolution and things like whether you're using V sync.

Games running at low FPS is usually the settings being too high for the hardware or the game is a poorly optimized PC port. Otherwise you're looking at some kind of hardware fault somewhere.

For example i play Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey with almost full graphics settings at 1080p and my FPS are usually around 45-50 on a 1060 6GB, 4790K, 16GB RAM. However, i tend to turn off things like clouds, chromatic aberration and depth of field and put shadows on medium.
Sorry, I forgot specs:

GTX 1650 SUPER 4gb
Ryzen 5 3400g
8GB RAM

I played AC Unity on 1080p on med-high on 60fps (but it feels worse). I also tried to lower graphics settings to low and I tried to change resolution but it's same. In some games if I don't use vsync I have screen tearing, so I use it in every game.